Monday, 30 January 2017

Star Wars RPG solo - Part 7 : A change or two of scenery

Their meeting with the urbane Mr. Kuththuk concluded, Wex and Oosuu head back out into the streets. Oosuu says she needs to run some errands since they're in this part of town. They wander down a  few streets to find an electronics shop, where Oosuu has Wex buy her some odds & ends. Browsing the shop affords ample opportunity to see if they're being followed.

[Q: Are they being followed? unknown odd 1d6=1, 100%; chaos die = 3, but... the tail is concentrating on Oosuu rather than Wex, as she does not blend in as well to the crowd.
Her Search (4D+2) vs. the tail's Sneak (4D): 18 vs. 10, spotted
Her Sneak (4D+2) vs. the tail's Search (4D): 20 vs. 18
Q: Do they know where Oosuu lives? Unlikely (5+): O1 C5 - No. (she's subletting the flat, so no public records)]

They head back to Oosuu's through a public market, where they easily give their pursuer the slip amongst the stalls.

Scene 17

back down to Madness (d6)

Setup: d6=4, Interrupt (was: new plans)
Interrupt: Remote event - Celebrate / Dispute

This just in!

Following weeks of unrest caused by rebellious minority factions attempting to subvert the legitimate government of Ord Mantell, the Imperial Governor is delighted to announce the complete restoration of order and harmony to our planet. The repulsortube network is once again operating at peak efficiency, and the planetary curfew has now been officially lifted. The Governor hopes that you will once again enjoy Ord Mantell's diverse and exciting nightlife, and join him in raising a glass to the 296th Stormtrooper division, whose decisive actions took the fight right into the insurgent's lair, and cleansed our planet of the miasma of their insidious plot. When asked if Stormtrooper patrols would remain in force, the Governor responded, "although I had intended to greatly scale back their numbers now that the crisis is past, my office has been flooded with entreaties from members of the public to keep them on the streets. I have therefore signed an order to maintain the patrols at their current levels, and have petitioned the Moff for an increased number to troops to be stationed at the planetary garrison. The Empire is concerned only for your safety, citizen."

Scene 18

Madness (d6)

Setup: new plans

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner, Oosuu the Twi'lek waitress, Xzag-Xzan the crime boss (Jather's sometime patron), Chruighok the rival crime boss, Major Riilina Cazerdy the human mercenary (Wex's ex-flame), Mr. Kuththuk the genteel Trandoshan (Morga the Hutt's lieutenant)

Threads: find powerful patron

Back at the flat, Wex relates the circumstances of their meeting with Mr. Kuththuk.

"I still think we should try to broker a deal with Morga, " says Zil. "We can offer the datapad in exchange for protection."

"It's a real long shot," says Wex. "Couldn't we go to someone else?"

"Like who?" says Jather. "Morga's in a different class than anyone locally. Doesn't matter how they feel about Chruigok; they hear that Morga's looking for us on her behalf, they'd give us up in a second just to keep Morga sweet."

"Call him, then. Tell him we can make clemency worth Morga's while."

[Zil needs a Moderate (15) Persuasion roll: 4D=16, success; but the Wild die =1, complication]

Wex makes the call that same evening, with Zil, Jather, and Oosuu sitting silently by. He calls well before (he hopes) Mr. Kuththuk will be at the opera. It wouldn't do to disturb him! The call gets through at once, but unbeknownst to them all, activating the comlink triggers a homing device planted within it [the complication from Zil's skill check].

"Mr. Enstipo," says the Trandoshan, "so good to hear from you. And so promptly!"

"Yeah. Look, I know where Zil is, but she wanted me to tell you she has something to trade, something infinitely more valuable than Chriugok's little vendetta."

[Wex needs a Moderate (15) Persuasion roll to pique the Trandoshan's interest: 3D=9, failure.

NPC Relationship: distrustful
Conversation Mood: neutral
knowing - records - flaws]

"I was afraid this might happen. Really, Mr. Enstipo, if you know where she is you should hand her over. Whom would you prefer as a friend, the great Morga, or that awful Ms. Lhahon. And conversely, whom would you prefer as an enemy?"

"But she's got something special to offer. Something big."

"Find her for me, Mr. Enstipo. I do not intend to tell you again."

"Fine. I'll see what I can do."

[Q: Time limit? 50/50 (4+): O5 C6 - Yes.
1d6: 1-2 1d6 hours, 3-4 1 day, 5-6 1d6 days
Q: Time limit explicitly stated? 50/50 (4+): O4 C5 - Yes.]

"You have 24 hours, Mr. Enstipo." »click«

"That went well," says Zil.

"I'd say he knows we're allies," says Wex.

"You sure about that?" asks Jather.

"It's safe to assume. I don't like our chances if we split up, so..."

"Wex good person," says the Twi'lek. "Oosuu glad have Wex on side."

"Lovely," says Zil. "But how do I know he won't sell me out to the Hutt to save you. And himself."

"Because, my dear paranoid Zil, I took out some of Chruighok's hoods alongside you. I think that makes us a package deal."

"He's got a point, Zil," says Jather. "Even if Morga goes away happy, Chruigok won't. Don't forget, one got away..."

"So now what do we do?" asks Zil. "We can't hide in this dump forev--"

"What you call dump?!"

"Please, not now Oosuu."

"Sorry, Wex."

"I didn't mean anything by it, Oosuu," says Zil. "Just a little stir crazy from being cooped up in here for so long. but I repeat: now what do we do? Anyone got any brilliant ideas?"

[It will take a Difficult (20) Streetwise roll to think of someone/thing to help:

Z 4D+2= 13
O 2D+1= 12
J 4D+2= 20 but wild die=1, complication
W 5D  = 17]

"It's a long shot," says Jather, "but I might know [1d6=] a guy."

"Who?" asks Zil.

"Drubal Has."

[random template = Quarren Swindler, Heroes and Rogues p82]
Q: Does anyone know the name? Doubtful (6): O5 C6 - No.]


"An old buddy of mine. He owns an antique shop in Skestl District. Some of his pieces are even genuine."

"That does sound like one of your friends, Jather," says Zil.

"I was thinking," continues Jather, ignoring Zil's comment, "how he's always shipping stuff offworld, so..."

"That's your plan?"

"I'm pretty sure we need to go. Somewhere far, far away from here."

"He's right," says Wex. "Things are far too hot here."

"Oosuu say go all along."

Jather calls his friend...

[Q: Gets through? 50/50 (4+): O4 C6 - Yes]

...and explains that he and a few mates need a place to hide and from which they can make a sneaky trip offworld. Drubal agrees, saying they can come this evening and stay in the back of his shop whilst he arranges transport offworld.

[Q: Problem getting there? 50/50 (4+): O5 C1 - Yes, and...
rolling Perception (Oosuu 4D+2) vs. stealth (2D): 17 vs. 7]

Oosuu throws a few things in a bag -- she owns nothing of sentimental value anymore -- and leads the way out. She gets barely ten steps down the [3d6x10=] 110m long corridor when she suddenly turns about.

"Quick. Back to room! Shhh! Tell when inside," she says.

"We're being watched, then?" says Jather.

"Blast!" curses Zil.

"Are [d6=4] four goons loitering in corridor. Not neighbours. Bulgy guns in coats! Oosuu see even far off."

"How do we get past them?" asks Wex.

"Two both sides! Not know!"

"Where are the exits?" asks Zil.

"Turbolift broken. Stairs near, or far other way. Goons block both sides!

"We need a diversion," says Zil.

"Oosuu make diversion. But then run!"

"What did you have in mind?"

"Jather, where put Oosuu molecular bonding tape?"

"I arranged all your supplies in the empty kitchen cabinet."

"That why Oosuu not find anything. Get, please. Wex, Zil, get power packs out of rubbish blasters."

[Q: Are there enough spare power packs with energy left in them? 50/50 (4+): O6 C6 - Yes. 2d6=8
+Event: NPC action - Porubek - Violate / Tension (sending thugs who will make a mess)]

As each power pack is handed to her, Oosuu adjusts the pack for maximum intensity. She divides the treated power packs into two groups of four, which she binds together using the tape, and loosens an overload strum dowel in a power pack in each set.

[She is making 2 blaster power pack bombs (Cracken's Rebel Field guide, p.76). She needs an Easy (10) blaster repair roll for each: 4D= 19, 14.]

"Very unstable. Pull dowel out and throw. Who good arm?"

Zil and Jather volunteer. Oosuu opens the door, and they pull the pins, step out in to the corridor and throw the bombs, ducking quickly back inside. One explodes almost immediately, the other about 15 seconds later.

[The two sets of goons have moved to within 3d6m of Oosuu's front door: 7m & 9m, making the throw difficulty 10 & 15 respectively. The nearest stairs are 50m to the left.

after pulling the 'pins', it takes 1 round to move & throw. The bombs explode on round 1d6= 4 & 2 (rolling a 1 would have been disastrous for our heroes).
Attack rolls were Zil 3D+1=14, Jather 3D=23! (Wild die 6+5+2)

Typical bounty hunters: DEX 3D, blaster 4D, dodge 4D; KNO 1D+2; MEC 1D+2, repulsorlift operation 2D+2; PER 2D; STR 2D+2, brawling 3D+2; TEC 1D.

The two down the corridor to the right take full (4D) damage: one wounded, one killed. The two on the left have 3 rounds to back out of the blast radius, so are unharmed.]

As soon as the second explosion rips through the corridor, our heroes rush out, blasters at the ready. Wex and Oosuu turn to the right, where they see a single Nikto in a long dark coat standing about 10m away. Her companion is sprawled motionless beside her. Zil and Jather face left, where they see a pair of Klatoonians beyond the scorched section of hallway where the second bomb exploded.

[Round 1 - party wins initiative]
Red and green streaks of light flash out down the corridor. Wex and Zil dart across the corridor as they fire, trying not to present a good target. Oosuu and Jather fire from the doorway for cover. The Nikto flattens herself against a doorway to make somewhat less of a target. The two Klatoonians stand their ground, blazing away. [all fire&dodge, except the Klatoonians]

A stray shot singes the Nikto's coat, but she is otherwise unharmed [damage < Strength roll]. Jather leans just a bit too far out form the door, and a blaster bolt hits him full in the chest.

[Jather has 2D Strength, and rolls snake eyes; the wild die cancels the highest (only) other die, so his total is 0. He can spend up to 5 character points to increase his total by 1d6 each, before damage is rolled. He spends 1 (+4), 2 (+1), 3(+3) points for a total of 8; damage is 4D=17; he's Incapacitated.]

The blaster drops from Jather's limp fingers and he collapses into the hall.

[Round 2]
The Nikto tries to evade the bolts streaking towards her as she squeezes off another shot. Wex and Oosuu catch her in a crossfire, and she is dead before she hits the floor. [Damage rolls were Dead & Incapacitated]

Zil is shocked to see Jather go down, and almost forgets to move. She and the Klatoonians all simply stand and fire shot after shot at one another. One of the Klatoonians is wounded in the exchange, but scarcely flinches.

[Round 3]
Wex and Oosuu turn about and fire on the Klatoonians. Wex grazes the unwounded one [damage < Strength roll], Zil drops the other with a shot to the gut [Incapacitated].

[Round 4
Q: Does the thug flee? Certain (2+): O2 C1 - Yes, and... won't report back soon]

The remaining Klatoonian turns and sprints into the stairwell as blaster bolts thud into the walls and floor on all about her. [She only had to move 10m to make the stairs, so she could make a full dodge with the movement. 4D=11(dodge) + 15(range) = 26; the party all missed.]

Zil is on her knees beside the motionless Devaronian. "Don't you dare die on me you bastard! No one's allowed to kill you but me!"

"He's still breathing," offers Wex. "But we gotta go now, before the police arrive. Or worse -- the Empire."

"Oosuu carry. Wex, Zil, lead way."

She puts her blaster into the inside pocket of her coat, then hefts the unconscious Jather with a groan. Zil and Wex are already heading to the stairwell, guns draw in case of ambush. They see no one, and motion for Oosuu to follow. "She's stronger than she looks," thinks Zil, but this is only partly true. She's just very determined.

[Oosuu needed an Easy (10) Stamina roll to carry him down to street level: 2D+2=7, failure. But when a Stamina roll is failed, a character can roll Willpower at +5 to the difficulty modifier: 4D+1=21, success.

Jather will be unconscious for 10D=33mins.

Q: Any problems getting away? Likely (3+): O1 C5 - No.]

Wex rushes out of the building and into the street to hail a cab. Zil and Oosuu hurriedly usher the senseless Jather into the back seat with them.

"Just drive," shouts Zil. [Intimidation 4D+2=23]

The driver, a young and dishevelled Aleena, does as he is told, heading away from the flat at speed.

"I didn't say, 'follow that speeder'," barks Zil. "Drive casually."

"Drop us off in the Skestl District," says Wex suddenly, realising they are but [1d6=]10 minutes away.

"In a public park," says Zil. "I seem to remember there is one there."

"Near chemists," says Oosuu. "Please."

The driver does his best to accommodate their requests. Zil gives him 250 credits for the fare, and says to forget he ever saw them.

[Q: Is anyone suspicious of the comlink yet? Unlikely (5+): O2 C4 - No, but... probably will think of it soon.
Q: Any problems when being dropped off? Unlikely (5+): O4 C6 - No.]

Zil and Wex wait on a bench with Jather, who is starting to come round. Oosuu hurries off with 200 of Wex's credits, on the theory that they might need a second medpac for later. They wait an agonising [2Dx5=] 25 minutes for her return.

Zil catches sight of Oosuu's return with relief. "I almost thought she'd done a runner," she says.

"Stop worrying already," says Wex "She's probably the most trustworthy of any of us. What's your problem with her?"

"I dunno. Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to like her."

[Q: Is there somewhere out of sight close by? 50/50 (4+): O5 C6 - Yes.
Oosuu needs a Moderate (15) First Aid roll: 3D=10, failure: Jather is still Incapacitated.]

There is a bantha-sized lump of vaguely mountain-shaped bronze -- as anodyne an example of civic art as ever was -- not far from the park bench. Zil helps Jather limp behind it, and Oosuu gets to work with the medpac.

"Well?" asks Zil when the Twi'lek has finished her ministrations.

"I feel awful," groans Jather.

"Can you move?"

"I don't know."

"Oosuu help walk."

"Where's your friend's shop?" asks Zil.

"Half hour on foot..." [d6x10 = 30 minutes]

"He come get us?"


"Another taxi then. Wex, try and get a droid this time. They ask fewer questions."

[Q: Can he get a droid taxi? 50/50 (4+): O5 C4 - Yes, but... (2d6x5= 30)]

"»Bzt« Where to? »Bzt«," says the taxi droid as they are clambering in the back."

"Has & Sons Fine Antiques," says Jather through gritted teeth.

"»Bzt« Of course. »Bzt« Are you sure you wouldn't prefer the sector hospital? »Bzt«"

"We're fine," says Zil. "Just drive."

"»Bzt« My programming requires me to report suspicious activity to the authorities. »Bzt«"

"How much would it cost to override your programming?"

"»Bzt« I must have malfunctioned. »Bzt« 30 credits should be enough for a nice oil bath. »Bzt« I mean, remedial logic circuit repairs. »Bzt«"

Scene 19

Madness (d6)

Setup: betrayal at Drubal's shop (complication from Jather's streetwise roll in scene 18)
Chaos die=2, Altered (how? Inspect / Riches)

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner, Oosuu the Twi'lek waitress, Xzag-Xzan the crime boss (Jather's sometime patron), Chruighok the rival crime boss, Major Riilina Cazerdy the human mercenary (Wex's ex-flame), Mr. Kuththuk the genteel Trandoshan (Morga the Hutt's lieutenant)

Threads: escape system alive

The back room of Drubal Has' antique shop is piled floor to ceiling with junk and old furniture from half a hundred worlds. There is a prickly feeling to the air, as ioniser units spaced evenly about the walls fill the room with a weak charge, assisting dust particles to adhere to the objets d'art. In one corner, a solitary droid is applying a laser welder at minimum power to a Ruurian pupa bed, to give it that well-used look.

The one empty space in the labyrinth of clutter is given over to Drubal's desk, though even this is coated with dust, and pile upon pile of hardcopy shipping manifests. The Quarren sits behind his desk in his shirt sleeves, his heavy crimson robes thrown over the back of his chair. He is lost in thought, considering the request put to him by his old friend Jather, slumped in a chair before him, and the three other ragged-looking beings with him. Finally he breaks his silence.

"How much money do you have, Jather?"

"Between »cough« all of us? »cough« Less'n »cough« 2000 credits."

"Oh dear. That's hardly enough."

"We don't want first class tickets," says Zil, "just a packing crate with life support to get us offworld."

"It's not the cost of getting you offworld. It's the cost of not telling Morga the Hutt I have his fugitives."

"You »cough« bastard."

"What do you want?" says Zil.

"To keep my working relationship with Morga intact. And all my limbs..."

Drubal makes a move to activate a comlink switch on his desk. Wex has his blaster out from under his coat in a flash. The shot thunders in the enclosed space, and Drubal slumps in his seat, his suckered fingers a scant few centimetres from the button.

[Wex won the initiative, and got his shot off before Drubal reached the button. He was Incapacitated from the damage.]

But moments later [1d6=] a pair of brutish looking Quarren, Drubal's security guards, rush into the back room, blasters drawn.

[Round 1 - thugs have initiative]
The Quarren open fire as Wex and Zil dodge behind piles of furniture. Oosuu pulls Jather down to the floor, behind the desk and out of the Quarren's field of fire.

[Wex and Zil's declared actions are Dodge & shoot; thugs are shooting now and will use Dodge skills as a reaction (i.e. full dice roll for attacks, -1D for dodges only. Range is barely 5m.]

The first Quarren's shot catches Wex in the shoulder, but the bolt is absorbed by the concealed blast vest he wears under his coat [damage roll 4D=10 vs. Strength 2D+1, +1 for the vest =11, no damage].

The other Quarren's blaster splutters and emits a few sparks; someone forgot to change the power pack! [His attack roll (3D) was 1,1,1.]

Both Wex and Zil return fire, dropping one Quarren and seriously wounding the other [#1 Incapacitated, #2 Wounded].

[Round 2]
The wounded Quarren drops his useless blaster as he dashes back through the door. Zil and Wex fire after him, but he is lost amongst the chaos of the showroom, and soon has escaped into the street.

The work droid is oblivious to the firefight, and is still slowly antiquing away in its corner. Wex trots out through the gloomy shop to look out the front door, but the Quarren has already disappeared into the city.

Zil calmly finishes off the two injured Quarren in the back room. Oosuu flinches at each blast, but busies herself tending to Jather.

Wex appears in the doorway. "We gotta get out of here," he says.

"I saw Drubal's »cough« speeder out front. Find »cough cough« keys..."

[Easy (10) Search roll: Zil 3D=14]

Zil finds Drubal's keys in his desk drawer. She throws them to Wex, saying "You're driving." She and Oosuu help Jather stumble outside and they have soon put the antique shop well behind them.

[Q: Problems with getaway? Unlikely (5+): O1 C4 - No, but... heat will increase]

Wex drives to the factory district, and drops the rest off in front of a seedy hotel. "I'm going to ditch the speeder pretty far away," he says as they are helping Jather out. "and come back on foot. I'll call you when I'm nearly here. I should be at least an hour, though."

"Get some dinner whilst you're out," says Zil. "I'm starved."

[Wex Sneaks (3D=18 (wild die=6,4)) back unnoticed.
Zil needs to roll an Easy (10) Con check to pass off Jather as her drunk friend: 3D=12, which would have been a success, had I not rolled the following Interrupt for the next scene.]

Scene 20

Madness (d6)

Setup: chaos die=3, Interrupt (was: Now what? redux)
Interrupt: PC negative - Spy / Weapons

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner, Oosuu the Twi'lek waitress, Xzag-Xzan the crime boss (Jather's sometime patron), Chruighok the rival crime boss, Major Riilina Cazerdy the human mercenary (Wex's ex-flame), Mr. Kuththuk the genteel Trandoshan (Morga the Hutt's lieutenant)

Threads: escape system alive

The hotel lobby makes Oosuu's flat block seem like the Ritz Imperial on Coruscant. The carpets are threadbare and torn in places, the public information terminal's electronics seem to have lost a battle with someone's cheap wine, and the single flickering fluorescent ceiling lamp gives off a weak light, obscured by the carcasses of generations of insects. There's a janitorial droid powered down in the corner, and missing one of its arms.

The gum-chewing Zelosian girl behind the front desk looks up from her holographic fashion magazine and greets Zil with a peevish, "What?"

"We need a room for four, so either a double, or a suite."

"For the whole night or just an hour?"

Oosuu is keeping Jather walking round the lobby, both doing their best to continue the charade of drunkenness on his part whilst Zil handles the registration. It is all going fine, until the Zelosian girl's chronic apathy suddenly fades.

"Hey!" she exclaims, "Are those blasters under your coats? What're you bringing that arsenal in here for?"

"It's nothing," says Zil calmly. "Just ignore it."

"This is a respectable place. We don't want no trouble."

"I believe one of those statements," says Zil.

"Look, Miss..." begins the girl, glancing at the register terminal, "...Miss Antilles, in my experience people toting that sort of hardware around with a friend who can barely stand is a recipe for trouble."

"How about I give you 200 credits to help ease your worries." [Easy (8) Bargain, 3D=12]

"Ok, but no pets."

Friday, 27 January 2017

Star Wars RPG solo - Part 6 : This deal is getting worse all the time

"You're really ok with this?" asks Wex as he and Oosuu are heading towards a sleazy cantina.

"Is necessary. Oosuu pragmatist sometimes. Not like, but still best option."

"I just know how you feel about Hutts."

"Wex very sweet, but drop subject now, ok? Repetition making worse."

Scene 14

Chaos: Madness (d6)

Setup: Looking to make contact

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner, Oosuu the Twi'lek waitress, Xzag-Xzan the crime boss (Jather's sometime patron), Chruighok the rival crime boss

Threads: find powerful patron

[Wex needs to make a Streetwise roll to find someone with the necessary connections. Base difficulty is Easy (10), +10 for martial law, -5 for having contacts in the area = 15 total; 5D=18, success.

Q: Who does he find? Bounty Hunter, d6=f
Q: Any immediate problems? Unknown: 1d6=5 Unlikely (5+): O1 C6 - No.]

Wex buys a round for himself and Oosuu and scans the room a bit, until he espies a familiar-looking Iotran disinterestedly playing a holographic pazaak game in the corner. He sidles over to her, and motions for Oosuu to follow.

"Hiya, Vasp. I never figured you for a card player."

"Hiya, Wex. As you can see from my hand, I'm not. But business is down, and this passes the time until the pod races come on."

"Business is down all over. But still... I really need an interview with Morga the Hutt. Or one of his lieutenants. I was hoping you could set me up."

[He needs a Moderate (15) Persuasion roll: 3D=10, fail]

"Sorry, can't."

"Look, I'm not trying to muscle in on anyone's territory. It's not even for me, exactly. It's for my friend here; she needs a job."

The Iotran looks Oosuu up and down critically.

"Uh, I really don't think she's dancer material..."

"No!" shouts the offended Twi'lek. "Oosuu not dancer! Oosuu technician!" She composes herself for a moment, then continues in a more moderate tone. "Oosuu modify blasters. Oosuu also slicer. But Oosuu better at blasters."

[She needs a Difficult (20) Persuasion roll: 4D+2=23, success]

Vasp seems a little flustered, and almost ashamed of herself. "Oh. Uh, sorry, it's just... nevermind. Yeah. Ok. I'll see what I can do."

"Great," says Wex. "But speaking of blasters, know anyone who needs a crate or two of 'em? Only Vudlor's capture sort of ended the deal I was putting together..."

[Q: Does she? Unlikely (5+): O5 C6 - Yes.
Q: Is it Chruighok? Doubtful (6): O5 C4 - no, but... one of her associates]

"Have you tried Slavoo?"

"Ah, no, I uh, hadn't thought of her."

[Wex needed an Easy (10) Con roll to avoid sounding suspicious: 3D=6 (Wild die=1, complication)

Complication (1d6): 1 gets suspicious, 2 calls Slavoo afterwards to see what the deal is, 3 puts 2+2 together & attempts to apprehend, 4 puts 2+2 together and tails Wex home, 5 as 4 but summons allie(s) on the way, 6 merely decides Wex is too problematic and never calls back

Q: Does Slavoo know anything about Wex? Doubtful (6): O3 C5 - no.
Q: Can a meeting with Morga's people be arranged? 50/50 (4+): O4 C1 - Yes, and... in only 1d3=2 days]

Scene 15

Madness (d6)

Setup: retrieve crate of blasters

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner, Oosuu the Twi'lek waitress, Xzag-Xzan the crime boss (Jather's sometime patron), Chruighok the rival crime boss

Threads: find powerful patron

Wex buys another round, and he and Oosuu kill some time chatting with Vasp before the pod races start. She invites them to stay and watch, but they politely decline. Wex explains his crates of blasters are gathering dust in a cheap hotel room, and it's a waste of money since he hasn't been staying there. Vasp wishes them well, and shoots Wex a knowing look as they depart; Oosuu diplomatically pretends not to notice.

[Q: Any problems? 50/50 (4+): O6 C1 - Yes, and...

BOLD waylay: personal - rival - regimental
solution: scarce-used ability]

Wex and Oosuu have hardly walked to the end of the block when a woman shouts after them, "Wex Enstipo! So you finally slithered back to Ord Mantell!"

Wex bristles at the sound, but tries to look cool and collected when he turns about. There can be no doubt in his mind as to just who it is. Major Riilina Cazerdy is a mercenary, whose company is stationed on Ord Mantell. She has the physique of a shockboxer, but she hides it under flowing tunics that Wex still doesn't think suit her. She hasn't really changed since the last time he saw her; she's still dyeing her hair blond and wearing too much eyeliner. The edge to her voice is new to him, but he wonders if her bravado isn't just a little forced.

"I been back a couple weeks," says Wex. "Didn't seem like a good time to look you up. Been pretty busy."

"Wex, me dear, it never is," she replies. Wex can smell the liquor on her breath now as she continues. "I saw you talking to Vasp. Looking to unload some cut-rate goods on her? For shame!" [inquisitive - questions - recent scene]

"Lay off, will you, Lina? Business is a mess between the strike and the curfew and now Vudlor's capture all over the holonews. I could do without you riding my aft boosters."

"So is that how you're swinging these days? And here I thought this little Twi'lek was your new crumpet..."

Oosuu's mouth is hanging open in dismay, but Wex can see the ire bubbling over behind her eyes.

[He must make a Persuasion (3D) roll vs. Oosuu's Willpower (4D+2) to keep her in check: 17 vs. 20]

"Don't let her get to you. She just likes to punish anyone I'm--"

"What call Oosuu!? Girl watch mouth or Oosuu slap!"

Oosuu raises her hand fiercely and takes an angry step forward. The sight of the soft Twi'lek girl threatening violence strikes Lina -- a hand-to-hand combat expert -- as uncommonly funny, and she bursts out with a fit of laughter.

[Oosuu hasn't put any skill dice into Brawl, so it counts as the Waylay solution's 'scarce-used ability'. Lina gets an Easy (7) Perception roll to avoid 'surprise': 2D+1=5; Oosuu's Brawl 2D+2=12 hits.

I used UNE to gauge Lina's reaction
Conversation Mood: 1d7=sociable; prejudiced - doubt - power]

The slap stops her laughter cold, and she takes a step back in surprise. Oosuu is still fuming, and looks like she might have another go. Wex is afraid to get between them -- he's seen Lina flatten a raging Whipid in one punch, so any interference on his part would be a futile gesture.

But Lina just rubs her cheek and smiles. "She's a gutsy one, I'll give 'er that. Never mind what I said, Wex, your friend's alright. More than I can say for your merchandise of late. Well, good luck with it. Be seeing you!"

And with that she goes back towards the cantina.

Wex and Oosuu somehow make it to Wex's hotel room without further incident. He checks the crates...

[Q: Is everything OK with them? Likely (4+): O4 C3 - Yes, but...]

...and sees that they haven't been touched. The cleaners haven't even moved them, if indeed this fine establishment even employs cleaners.

Oosuu pops open one of the crates out of curiosity. She takes out a blaster pistol, and examines it with her practiced eye.

"Oh, Wex! Mean Lina girl right. Blasters awful!"

Scene 16

Chaos: improves to Out of Control (d8)

Setup: Interrupt (Was: waiting for contact)
Interrupt: Close a thread - Return / Intrigues

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner, Oosuu the Twi'lek waitress, Xzag-Xzan the crime boss (Jather's sometime patron), Chruighok the rival crime boss, Major Riilina Cazerdy the human mercenary (Wex's ex-flame)

Threads: find powerful patron

They take a droid taxi back to Oosuu's flat. Oosuu busies herself with examining the merchandise to see if there are any decent ones in the lot whilst Wex gets Zil and Jather up to speed.

[Q: Any decent blasters? 50/50 (4+): O6 C5 - Yes.
Oosuu needs an Easy (10) Blaster Repair to determine which: 4D=19]

Oosuu finds two blasters that she deems serviceable, and presents them to Zil and Jather, as their hold-outs are underpowered, have bad range, and are nearly out of ammunition. She finds her own blaster pistol under a pile of clothe in her sleeping cubicle after a few minutes of searching.

And then they wait. And wait. And wait. Zil and Jather need to keep a low profile, so hardy dare to leave the flat. Wex and Oosuu make a few forays for food, but try to keep their movements to a minimum. There's no telling whether the thug who escaped the diner got a good look at Wex, or remembered the angry waitress with her dangerous pot of caf. And there's a slight chance the Empire might be looking for them too.

But Wex finally gets the call: meet tomorrow at 14:00 at [Scarlet Heroes urban location:d3, d20 = Inn] the Hotel Stellar 8's bar/lounge. Ask for Mr. Kuththuk's table.

- - -

The Hotel Stellar 8 is popular with travelling businessbeings and the lower echelons of the Imperial Navy on their family holidays. Local criminals favour the lounge as a neutral meeting place as it is neither too fancy nor too grotty for the bosses to meet with the more hands-on types.

Mr. Kuththuk is a genteel and immaculately-dressed Trandoshan, from his tailored suit down to the softly-glowing flower he wears as a boutonnière. His [1d6=] two bodyguards are sitting at nearby table, but as he insists they also dress respectably, neither Wex nor Oosuu are quite sure which of the various beings in the spacious lounge that they are [they both failed Very Difficult (24) Perception rolls to spot them].

The headwaiter, TrZ-353, ushers Wex and Oosuu over to Mr. Kuththuk's table, and he rises to greet them.

"Mr. Enstipo. Please, have a seat. And your companion, Ms...?"


"But of course. Charmed, Ms. Oosuu. Waiter, bring them anything they please. On my tab, naturally."

The waiter takes their orders, then scurries off to the bar on its single, gyro-stabilised wheel. They make small talk whilst waiting for the droid to return. Mr. Kuththuk apologises for meeting somewhere they are forced to listen to such horrible "Core Contemporary" music, but says it does so make him glad he has tickets for the Mon Calamari opera later this evening. Once the waiter has brought the cocktails, the Trandoshan's voice takes on a more serious cast.

NPC Relationship: friendly
Conversation Mood: sociable
insane - bewilderment - friends]

"Let me get right to the point, Mr. Enstipo. The esteemed Morga the Hutt is always willing to support new talent, so if Ms. Oosuu is as capable as I've heard -- and I have made enquiries -- I believe she would make a valuable asset to our business concern. But -- and this pains me to have to say -- I've heard less than flattering whispers about the company you yourself have been keeping. And as I am sure you are aware, a stain on your reputation makes it hard to get a fair picture of your friend's potential worth. I've always heard you were an honourable being, Mr. Enstipo, so I will be plain: what is your relation to Zil Lhahon?"

"I know her vaguely. Mostly by reputation, so I would normally keep my distance. But she was in town looking for Vudlor Taf when he went to ground. And since I was also looking for Vudlor, I sort of just tagged along. Then when the news broke..."

"Ah, yes. Pity about that. Mr. Taf was remarkably cultured -- but then I suppose most Snivvians are -- and for that I shall miss him. But come now, Mr. Enstipo. Certainly you must have known of the attempt on Ms. Lhahon's life." [insane - idiocy - last scene]

"I would suppose that happens to her with alarming frequency."

"Quite. But one is not often in a position to witness it firsthand."

"Well, no," says Wex, embarrassed. "I guess not."

"And whilst I understand how this incident might have a... shall we say, somewhat fiscally unwelcome effect on Ms. Oosuu here, I cannot help but wonder at how this unpleasantness might affect you. And -- of course -- by extension, further inconvenience your charming friend."

"Oh no!" interjects Oosuu. "Zil ruin Oosuu old job. Wex, not let Zil ruin job Oosuu not even have yet!"

"Perhaps, my good Mr. Enstipo, you might still know where to find Ms. Lhahon. This information would not only demonstrate your bona fides, but might also earn you a small finder's fee." [friendly - support - antagonist]

"Wex still know her. Wex can call. Pleeeeease, Wex. Help Oosuu!"

[Oosuu must make a Con (4D+2) roll, resisted by Mr. Kuththuk's Con (6D) for that to sound believable: 21 vs. 17, he buys it.]

"Would that I knew of her whereabouts, Mr. Enstipo! I could not countenance that my inaction should leave such a charming young lady in distress."

"I'll see if I can dig her up," says Wex.

"Splendid," says Mr. Kuththuk. He fishes a comlink out of his jacket pocket and puts it on the table. "When you've found her, call me using this comlink -- and no other. This one I know to be secure. Then we can make arrangements to, shall we say, meet with Ms. Lhahon."

"I'll be in touch," says Wex.

"Soon, I hope. The illustrious Morga is merely repaying a favour by looking for that devious Ms. Lhahon. I'm sure Chruighok has some of her own agents still on the case."

Tuesday, 24 January 2017

Star Wars RPG solo - Part 5 : Revelations and secrets

Wex and Jather keep walking when the stormtrooper stops Zil. Their pace doesn't even slacken until they round another corner into a main thoroughfare, where they decide to wait. Fortunately, Zil is not that far behind them, and they are soon reunited. Wex seems to know where he's going, and the other two follow wordlessly for a while.

When Wex is leading them down a deserted side street, Zil finally asks, "So what are we going to do now?"

"Oosuu gave me her key," explains Wex, "and told us to wait at her flat."

"Gave you her key?" asks Zil, arching an eyebrow.

"And you just happen to know where her flat is?" adds Jather.

"You two were unconscious when we made the plan... and I already told you I helped her find a place. She's subletting it from my old pal Dz'ghazz'kl, whilst she's out prospecting on the Rim."

Scene 12

Madness (d6)

Setup: Chaos die=3, Interrupt (was: Oosuu returns home)
Interrupt: NPC action - Jather's mysterious patron - Betray / Disruption

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner, Oosuu the Twi'lek waitress, Jather's mysterious patron, rival crime boss

Threads: datapad, find out who's after them, what to do about Porubek

Wex's teasing interrogation is interrupted by his announcement that they have reached Oosuu's flat. The building occupies the whole of a city block, and towers at least 40 stories high. Its architectural style can best be described as municipal prison, with duracrete slabs and exposed plastisteel girders. When they get into the south lobby, Wex lets out a great sigh. "That turbolift's been out of order since Dz'ghazz'kl moved in," he says. "I hope you two like stairs."

Despite hi bravado, the 20-flight climb is almost more than he can manage in his wounded state.

"You going to make it?" asks Zil, with genuine concern.

"Yeah. But I guess the adrenaline has finally worn off."

They finally find flat No. 20-284, and Wex touches the key to the pad. The room beyond has all the charm and dimensions of a bulk shipping container. There's a sagging sofa, a filthy kitchenette, a warped retractable breakfast counter that will no longer retract. The air smells like dirty laundry and desperation. Being in the middle of the giant flat block, there are no windows; the giant viewscreen that once gave an illusion of looking out on a peaceful landscape is cracked. An artless painting of a sunset bought from a market stall hangs over it, concealing the worst of the damage. But in case they doubted their host's slicer credentials, almost every flat surface is covered in tools and bits of nameless technology in varying states of disassembly. Well... technology and pants.

As they are taking it all in, Jather's comlink sounds. "I'd better answer this," says Jather, and goes into the bathroom for privacy.

[UNE: insane - chaos - current story]

"What are you doing?" crackles the voice over the comlink. "Things have gone mad over there! I didn't want Vudlor arrested. He'll be killed!"

"That wasn't me!" protests Jather.

"This complicates things greatly."

"I'm just trying to--"

"In my experience, when things get this complicated it is best to distance oneself." [prejudiced - difference - experience]

"Wait, I can--"

"Your fee is forfeit, Jather. Just be glad it isn't your life." »click«

Jather opens the door to see Wex and Zil looking pointedly at him. He suddenly realises how thin the walls are here...

"Who was that, Jather?" says Zil.

"Oh, er, ah, no one in particular."

[His Con 5D+2 vs. her Perception: 5 vs. 17 (Wild dice were 1 & 6 respectively!)]

Zil pulls her blaster on Jather. "You set me up! Give me one good reason why I shouldn't blast you right here and now."

Jather backs away, his hands where she can see them. "It's not like that at all! I was supposed to see that you didn't get the datapad to Vudlor on time. I admit it. Krasstun was in on it -- he's on Xzag-Xzan's payroll too. I wasn't even sure how I was supposed to stop you. Well, not stop, but just delay a couple days. And it turns out I didn't have to!"

"I'm not hearing a good reason not to waste you."

"It'd make a big mess, which you can't afford right now. And besides, you don't have too many friends at the moment. I stayed and tried to help out. Even when I could'a split like ol' Bootleg."

"He's right about that," says Wex. "Plus Oosuu would kill me if we make a mess in her place."

"A mess?" asks Zil, putting down her gun. "How would she even notice? Alright, Jather, consider this your warning. The next betrayal is your last."

Scene 13

Madness (d6)

Setup: waiting at Oosuu's flat

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner, Oosuu the Twi'lek waitress, Jather's mysterious patron, rival crime boss

Threads: datapad, find out who's after them, what to do about Porubek

[N.B. Oosuu's skill rolls for dealing with the Empire were all made at the end of scene 11, but rather than narrating events then, I moved the mechanics to the appropriate parts of her narrative below.]

It's very late -- well past curfew -- when the front door buzzer finally sounds. Wex goes over to answer it. The intercom crackles to life, and the viewer shows a fuzzy image of Oosuu waiting at street level.

"Oosuu home. Let in now."

Wex pushes door entry button, and sees Oosuu pause to wave energetically at someone off camera before it goes dark. He grabs his blaster and goes to wait by the door to her flat. Zil readies her hold-out blaster. Jather decides to hide in the loo.

It's a very long, nervous wait. They are more than relieved to see Oosuu come into the flat alone, carrying her shoes in one hand.

"Oh! What time Oosuu had! Stormtroopers rush diner like assault, Oosuu stand hands up long time. Lucky Oosuu dress in waitress uniform. So many questions. Oosuu play scared -- not too hard, all those guns pointing. Commander come, ask Oosuu questions. Oosuu answer, cry a little [she needed an Easy Con roll: 4D+2=14, success]. Then med droids come in, Oosuu point out thugs, all survivors taken to station.

"Wait," says Zil, "how'd you get home after curfew? Who were you waving at?"

"Is funny. So late, not go in streets alone. Commander tell stormtroopers take Oosuu home in patrol speeder. Oosuu so tired, not make much sense, but stormtroopers laugh. So Oosuu keep going. Look! stormtroopers give Oosuu comlink number, say 'call if more tips for Empire'. [She needed a Moderate (15) Persuasion roll to distract them so they don't wonder why she hasn't got her key. 4D+2=32! (Wild die came up 6,6,6,3)]

"I didn't know stormtroopers could laugh," says Wex.

"Oh yes! Driver laugh so hard almost crash speeder. But where was story? Oh, at station. Many many hours, many many questions. [Easy (10) Con roll to keep up appearances: 4D+2=17, success]. So boring, tell same story over and over. Commander ask, lieutenant ask, guy in hat ask, why not all listen first time? Three goons captured, hurt bad. One escape, Poof! disappear. Leader dead so Imperials sad, no good information. But others wake up, talk lots. Scream more..."

"Does this story have a point?" growls Zil.

[Moderate (15) Perception roll to espy something useful: 4D+2=18, success]

"Hey, Wex, friend need better manners! Oosuu save you, give you time escape, give you Oosuu flat, let you drink Oosuu beer. Meanwhile Oosuu go talk Imperials, hear conversation, peek data readouts. Oosuu know things, maybe not tell now. Hey, Wex, you sit. Look hurt, sit here. Oosuu put gun on table, safe here now. Oh, blaster good work! Nice mods, balance good, sight aligned. Where got?"

"On Vorzyd 5."

[Easy (10) Planetary systems roll 2D+1=6]

"Oosuu not know system. Is good work. Probably no need Oosuu there. Oosuu need new job. Diner closed. Wex have money? Oosuu only got 50 credits. Buy medpac tomorrow. Wex not get infection."

"I've got a bit left," says Wex, wincing. Oosuu peers carefully at Wex's injury as Zil bites her lip to avoid lashing out at their host again.

"Imperials looking for you," continues Oosuu. "Not have good description. You lucky, leader killed. Goons know little. Oosuu say not see you clearly, only goons. Tomorrow Wex give Oosuu money, Oosuu go buy medpac. Not safe go out with blaster burn. Why Chruighok want kill Zil?"

"What?!" shouts Zil, suddenly attentive.

"Goons say target human woman, Zil name. Not know more, see holopicture once, follow leader's order: 'Kill her and any one with her'. Chruighok order."

"Didn't you do a little work for him a while back?" asks Wex

[Q: Did she? 50/50 (4+): O6 C5 - Yes]

"Chruighok send box blasters, Oosuu upgrade galven patterns. Oosuu always upgrading galven patterns, gangs want lots. Oosuu dream galven patterns! Oosuu rather make beam splitter. Wex want? Oosuu have crystals somewhere." Oosuu begins digging through her kitchen drawers, finding everything but the beam gems she has in mind.

"Uh, later maybe. What I -- what we -- really need is for you to crack the security on this datapad."

Oosuu seems to forget what she was looking for, then goes to examine the datapad. She turns it over in her hands then abruptly gives it back. "Oosuu tired. So many stormtroopers! So many questions! Oosuu sleep now."

She wanders off into her sleeping cubicle, flops on the bed, closes the door and falls immediately asleep.

"What the hell just happened?" says Zil.

"Zil, meet Oosuu," says Wex.

-- -- --

The next morning, a chorus of groans meets Oosuu as she emerges from her sleeping cubicle. Wex's injuries meant he got to sleep on the sofa (uncontested), so  Zil and Jather had to make do with the bare, metal floor. Oosuu notes that they disturbed her careful arrangement of spare parts and discarded knickers, but elects to be a good hostess by remaining silent.

Her guests cannot help but stare at the half-dressed Twi'lek moving about her flat with utter insouciance. She is muttering to herself in a language none of them recognise, and evidently searching for something. She has a momentary look of triumph when she finds a shirt in the kitchen, but her nose wrinkles when she sniffs it, and it is discarded unceremoniously on the kitchen floor. She finally finds one that passes muster in a pile between her sleeping cubicle and the loo. She pulls it over her head, and Zil can barely suppress a laugh at the sight of the absurd little dance she does to get both lekku free of the back.

"I'm getting kinda hungry," announces Jather. "And I suspect the others are too. I'd cook us something, but everything in your kitchen looks... a bit suspect."

"Oosuu work in diner, eat there. Not keep food in flat."
Wex gives Oosuu 120 credits, and Jather provides her with a shopping list. She promises not to be gone long.

[Q: Any surveillance on her flat? Doubtful (6): O4 C6 - No.]

True to her word, she's back within the hour. Jather has meanwhile managed to disinfect little corner of her kitchen so he can cook breakfast. Soon the smell of sautéed granzib fills the little flat, and Zil is left to wonder at Jather's hidden talent.

Oosuu attends to Wex's wound with the medpac, [Easy (10) First Aid: 3D=10, healed] and soon has him put to rights. Then she takes the data pad and sits over it on the floor, intent on extracting its secrets with her home-made computer spike.

[Difficult (16) Computer roll: 4D=20, success]

"Oosuu," says Zil, "your food is getting cold."

"Oosuu," says Oosuu pointedly.


"Zil say wrong. Oosuu. Not Oosoo."

"I don't hear a difference."

"Oosuu. OO-SUU."

"I don't think humans can hear the difference," offers Jather.

"Wex say right. Why not Zil?"

"I don't hear a difference either," says Wex.

"But say right."

"Maybe it's a regional thing," says Jather. "Wex, where're you from?"


"Huh. There a lot of Twi'leks there?"

"Not more than most places. But she didn't grow up a--"

"Oh look! Oosuu slice datapad!" exclaims Oosuu suddenly. "Oh, no...wait...still one more... no... almost... now got!"

If any of them noticed she cut off Wex on purpose, they don't show it as they crowd round to look at the datapad's screen.

[Q: Is the info contained on the datapad valuable? 50/50 (4+): O6 C5 - Yes.
Q: How? Violate / Balance - Could seriously swing the balance of underworld power
Q: Because of? Mistrust / Illusions - it contains info on Imperial infiltrators & informants in the major crime families & gangs]

The screen displays a list of names and mugshots, notes which crime families they serve, and the scope of their contribution to the Empire's security forces. Some are just low-level informants, but others are deep cover agents planted by no less an organisation than the ISB.

[Jather needs to make a Moderate (15) Value roll: 4D+2=20]

"Do you have any idea what that's worth?" says Jather, a bit awed. "We're looking at 10,000 credits, even if we don't try to auction it off."

"Porubek said to destroy it," says Zil. "He obviously doesn't trust me with it."

"Hey, let me see a minute," says Jather, grabbing it and scrolling through the dossiers.

[Q: Is Krasstun (Zil's contact) or Xzag-Xzan (Jather's other boss) on the list? Unlikely (5+): O2 C6 - No.]

"Will you look at that!" exclaims Jather. "I always knew there was something off about V'kzz'zzk. Never thought it was Imperial sympathies, but there you go. Sometimes you just don't know a bug..."

"So now what?" asks Zil.

"Look at [1d6=6] all these names in Chruighok's operation. We could trade this to have [d6=] her call off her gunsels."

"Wow, Jather. That's a more magnanimous suggestion than I expected out of you."

"I'm pretty sure being your associate has marked me for death as well. As much as I'd like a share of 10,000 credits, I'd rather it didn't go towards my coffin."

"I've got a time limit with Porubek -- he's pretty impatient for a Kitonak. And he wants it destroyed. What about your mysterious employer, Jather?"

[Q: Will Jather be forthcoming? Likely (3+): O4 C 6 - Yes]

"Xzag-Xzan? I was hoping to avoid him for a while. He, uh, makes me nervous even when he's in a good mood."

"We could copy the file. Spread it round...." says Wex.

[Oosuu gets a Moderate (15) Computer roll to respond to that suggestion: 4D=18]

"Copy not easy," says Oosuu. "Lose authenticode. Then just list names."

"Hell of a list, though," says Wex. "Oosuu, could you make contact with Chruighok? I got a case of blasters need to move fast. If she's not after me, I could broker a deal for clemency."

[Easy (8) Streetwise to make contact: 2D+1=6]

"Oosuu not know. Chruighok only send goons to Oosuu flat. Goons with boxes, goons with credits. Not meet in person."

"What about her people on the list?" asks Jather. "Oosuu, do you recognise any of these names?"

[Q: Does she? 50/50: O2 C5 - No.
Q: Does she know all her usual contacts? 50/50: No, and...]

"Oosuu not know. Goons not big on introductions."

[What do the party members each wish to do next? 1d6:
1. flee back to Porubek
2. trade datapad to Chruighok for clemency
3. use Wex to sound out Chruighok & broker deal
4. copy data & distribute
5. flee offworld
6. find powerful patron

Z6 O5 W2 J2]

"I'm sure I can convince Chruighok to call off her goons," says Wex. "This is a pretty good bargaining chip."

"I have to admit, that sounds like our best shot," says Jather.

"Oosuu want off planet. Maybe go Expansion Regions, so closer Core."

"We're in deep poodoo here, but we're sitting on a goldmine," says Zil. "We should find a bigger player to hand it over to in exchange for protection. That way we can definitely continue to stay alive, and probably come out of this pretty solvent."

[Zil rolls her Persuasion, 4D=19, vs. everyone else's Willpower (Knowledge):
Jather 3D+2=16
Wex 4D=5 (wild die=1)
Oosuu 4D+1=8 (just a bad roll)]

Everyone looks at one another following Zil's suggestion, and a feeling of unanimity settles over them.

"Who did you have in mind?" asks Wex.

Saturday, 21 January 2017

Star Wars RPG solo - Part 4 : A curtailed introduction

Zil decides she should try to call her boss again. She finally gets through after several hours.

[Q: Can Zil get ahold of her boss at all? 50/50 (4+): O6 C3 - Yes, but...
hostile - destruction - current story]

"You've failed me, Zil," comes the Kitonak's nasal voice over the comlink. "I had such hopes for you! I never should have trusted one of you hairy, hot-headed humans! It's all over now. Destroy the datapad and bring the pieces back to me so we can discuss your penalty." »click«

"Great," says Zil, tossing the comlink onto her bed in disgust. "Now what do we do?"

[Q: Does Jather mention he might have another patron? Unlikely (5+): O4 C5 - No.]

"Maybe we should find out what's on the datapad," says Wex.

"Worth a shot, I guess," says Zil. "But maybe we should get some sleep first."

. . .

The next morning...

[It will take a Difficult (16) Computer roll to crack the datapad's security.
Zil 2D+1=10, Jather 2D+2=9, Wex 2D=11]

"So, that was bust," says Zil. "Anyone know a good slicer round here?"

[Q: Does anyone? Unlikely (5+): O5 C5 - Yes. 1d2=Wex
+Event: Introduce a new NPC - Assist / Food]

"I, uh, might know of one," says Wex, "but..."

"But what?"

"But... well... Oh, never mind. I guess we don't have any choice. Come on... let's get some lunch. And hopefully, we'll run into our slicer at the diner."

"Your slicer hangs out in a diner?"

"Not exactly..."

Scene 11

Out of Control (d8)

Setup: meet slicer

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Vudlor Taf the Snivvian Black marketeer, Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner

Threads: crack datapad

The air inside Xoghlor's Kessellian Eatery smells like stale grease but is somehow still appetising. About three dozen beings of all stripes have stopped in to eat, either going to or coming from their respective factory jobs. The afternoon sunlight streams in through the windows, which are badly in need of a washing, and lends a cheery cast to the otherwise drab surroundings.

The waitress, a rutian Twi'lek, wears her tawdry and tight-fitting uniform with a tranquil audacity, certain of the omnipotence of her flesh. She drifts over to a booth by the window, and her dreamy expression is suddenly replaced by a broad smile.

"Wex! How you? You bring friends."

"Oosuu, hi. It's really not going so great. There's been some... setbacks for me and my compatriots here."

"Whole planet messy. Curfew cut Oosuu hours. Wex have freelance offer?"

"In fact," says Wex, putting the mysterious datapad on the table, "I was wondering if you could crack this for us."

"Oosuu just start shift. You eat, Oosuu help later. Go home at curfew. You come then. Eat dinner here too. Eat lots so boss not mad Oosuu talking, not serving."

"Will do."

The Twi'lek takes their orders on a grease-stained datapad, then flounces happily off towards the kitchen.

Template: Twi'lek outlaw tech
Dexterity 3D
 Dodge 4D
Knowledge 2D+1
 Willpower 4D+1
Mechanical 2D+1
Perception 4D+2
Strength 2D+2
Technical 3D

 Blaster repair 4D
 Computer prog./repair 4D
 Space Transport repair 4D
 Starship weapon repair 4D

Equipment: blaster comlink datapad 50credits

[Oosuu was made from the excised bits of Zil's first draft history. For her stats, I used the Twi'lek co-pilot template from Platt's Smugglers Guide with a slight change to skills. For her description, I adapted Zola's description of the eponymous heroine of Nana: « Elle était nue avec une tranquille audace, certaine de la toute-puissance de sa chair. »]

"I know what you're thinking, Zil," says Wex, "but you need to trust me on this."

"How do you know what I'm thinking?" asks Zil.

"With that face you're pulling," interjects Jather, "the droid outside directing traffic knows what you're thinking. But if I had a worse sabacc face, I  might be looking the same. Wex, just what are you thinking?"

"For one, she's absolutely an independent operator, so she has no loyalties that might make things difficult for us. Plus she kinda owes me a favour for finding her a place to live when she got to Ord Mantell. Look, I've worked with her before; she really knows her stuff."

"Uh-huh," observes Jather.

"So, Wex," begins Zil, "you're telling me this has nothing at all to do with her--"

Zil doesn't get a chance to finish her reproof. A bounty hunter has just walked into the diner, a blast vest visible under her long coat, and wearing a full face mask which conceals her identity and species. Four thugs trail behind her: a male Jenet, a female Rodian, and two male Humans. The bounty hunter scans the diner until she sees Zil, then draws her blaster; her cohort follow suit.

Zil and Jather have noticed their assailants, and are already leaping out of the booth and upturning tables for cover. Wex is still sitting there dumbfounded as the first salvos of red and blue blaster bolts criss-cross the room.

A general panic erupts, and the patrons flee in all directions, upsetting tables and chairs in their flight.

[I had asked the Oracle--
Q: Does anything untoward happen before they meet up? Unlikely (5+): O6 C2 - Yes, and... right now
Q: What happens? 1d6: 1-2 ambush, 3-4 tailed, 5-6 arrested: 1

1d6= 4 thugs led by 1 bounty hunter

Thugs: All attributes 2D; Blaster, Dodge, Streetwise, and Brawl 3D

Bounty hunter: DEX 3D, blaster 4D, dodge 4D; KNO 1D+2; MEC 1D+2, repulsorlift operation 2D+2; PER 2D; STR 2D+2, brawling 3D+2; TEC 1D

I used the Typical Bounty Hunter stats from Tatooine Manhunt. I forget where the Thug stats came from. These were both copied to the bottom of my game notes file before I'd started the adventure.

This was played out theatre-of-the-mind style, but I had a clear image of the diner in my head to start with. Rather than estimating the movements of ~36 bystanders and the overturned furniture they leave behind, I made two tables to handle the effects of a missed shot and to determine Movement difficulties.

For a missed shot, I rolled 1d6, with a modifier of -1 per round after the first.

result miss effect
------ -----------
  1-   clean miss
  2    create minor (+5) hazard*
  3    create major (+5) hazard*
  4+   bystander hit

*Minor hazards only affect the first person to move through/past them. Major hazards remain for the whole encounter. +5 is added to the Movement difficulty in both cases.

die Movement difficulty
--- -------------------
 1  moderate (15)
2-4 easy (10)
5-6 very easy (5)

The party needed Easy (10) Perception rolls to avoid surprise; only Wex failed. The party won the  initiative. I ran the combat by the book, with actions being declared in initiative order then played out, making all the necessary movement rolls &c &c. A lot of dice were thrown, and putting them all in the narrative would make this unreadable, so I'll be truncating most of the mechanics.]

[Round 1]
Zil and Jather leap from the booth, drawing weapons as they move. Each crouches low on the floor and scurries behind an upturned table. All five of the assailants are standing in a rough line and blazing away at them.

[The tables provide about 50% cover, adding +2D to the attack difficulty. Shots that would have hit without the additional dice hit the cover instead (which has 2D Strength), and may injure those behind it if enough damage gets through.]

One blaster bolt takes a chunk out of Zil's table, sending plastic splinters into her hair. Another blows a hole clean through Jather's, knocking him back a little but causing no permanent harm [he's Stunned: -1D to all actions]. Two other shots go into the crowd of fleeing patrons, and two unfortunates are brought low [incapacitated, mortal wound].

The bounty hunter takes aim at Wex, but the bolt sizzles right past his head and impacts on the far wall.

Oosuu had just come from behind the counter with a fresh pot of caf -- steaming hot right out of the maker -- when the thugs pulled their blasters. Without thinking she swings the full pot right at the face of the nearest human thug [Diff 10, damage 2D]. The cheap glass shatters on impact; shards of glass cut his face and burning liquid scalds his eyes. He drops to the floor screaming. [Damage was 13 (Wild die came up a 6, adding +4) vs. 3 (Wild die came up 1, a Complication). He's Incapacitated, and very probably blinded].

[Round 2]
[Q: Anyone turn to attack Oosuu? Likely (3+): O5 C6 - Yes. 1d3=1]

Wex has come to his senses. He turns about in the booth and crouches low [=dodges] behind the tacky vinyl seat as he draws his heavy blaster pistol. Zil and Jather return fire with their hold-out blasters, popping up above the table rims to squeeze off a few shots. The thugs keep firing, but move towards the nearest tables for cover themselves, and the bounty hunter crouches behind the furthest booth.

Zil's shot grazes the Jenet's coat, burning a black stripe in the arm [no damage]. Jather hits one of the miraculously still-standing tables. The shot blows the top clean off as it shreds the metal frame, leaving a mass of sharp, twisted metal [major hazard].

The Rodian's shot sends up another shower of plastic over Zil -- so close that this time she can feel the heat of the sizzling bolt [Zil is Stunned (-1D)]. The Human's shot drops another cowering patron [Mortally wounded]. The bounty hunter once again hits the far wall instead of Wex.

Meanwhile, Oosuu has turned and run to hide behind the lunch counter [full dodge, full cover]. The Jenet is seized with rage at what this waitress has done to his friend. He makes to follow her, and squeezes off a few blaster bolts as he rushes past the twisted metal wreckage towards the counter [made his Movement roll past the hazard, missed his shot]. The poor dishwashing droid attached to the sink is blasted in two as the Twi'lek dives through the swinging counter door.

[Round 3]
[Q: Any weapons behind the counter? Unlikely (5+): O2 C6 - No.]

The Jenet swears as he knocks his knee hard against the little swinging door on his way through. Oosuu realises she's trapped, and takes a flying leap over the edge of the counter where it curves round the bend. Cups and plates go flying as she vaults the counter, head-tails trailing, but she lands gracefully on the other side [Easy (10) move and Dodge, so both actions at -1D, but she rolled a 6 on the wild die for movement, so 2D=11]. The Jenet fires after her, but hits the pie case instead, which ruptures and deposits a mess both savoury and fruity in his path [minor hazard].

Both Zil and Jather blaze away at the assassins, but neither score a hit; hold-out blasters are not terribly accurate at range.

Wex draws a bead on the remaining human, and the heavy blaster pistol barks in his hand. The bolt slams into the man's sternum. He is pushed over backwards to the floor, and lies still [Incapacitated].

A fusillade of blue and red reduces both Zil's and Jather's tables to smoking embers. The two of them are knocked senseless by the explosions of metal and plastic, and soon lie motionless on the floor. [Both of them got a second Stunned result, rendering them unconscious (i.e. number of stuns in a minute equals number of Stamina (defaults to Strength) dice).

[Round 4]
Oosuu grabs a chair, and throws it at the advancing Jenet. The chair bounces over the counter but lands well short of her target. Still, it keeps him from getting a shot off as he fights his way past it, mindful not to slip in the goo on the floor [fails his move to get past the two minor hazards (pie & chair)].

Wex aims a shot at the bounty hunter, and hits her in the sternum as well, but she seems mostly unfazed as the blast is absorbed by her armour vest [Stunned, -1D]. Still, her shot once again goes clean over his head and into the far wall. The Rodian does little better, hitting only the back of the booth, which melts a little rather than splintering.

[Round 5]
Oosuu grabs another chair, and crawls right up to the side of the counter. The Jenet kicks the chair from his path and moves up to bend of the counter.

Blaster bolts whiz through the air wildly.

[Round 6]
As the Jenet leaps over the counter, Oosuu swings the chair at him. He lands hard and bounces for a metre all tangled in the chair legs. He does not get up again [Damage s STR+1D (as a Club); the Jenet rolls poorly and is Incapacitated].

Wex fires again at the bounty hunter. This time the bolt hits her face mask, splitting it asunder in a shower of sparks. She slumps lifeless over the side of the booth [the wild die pushed the damage roll up to 31 vs. her 6; Dead].

But any triumph he feels is short-lived. The Rodian's shot burns a hole straight through the booth's seat back and into Wex's side. He winces from the impact as the smell of burning flesh is added to the reek of scorched vinyl [Wounded].

[Round 7]
Oosuu crawls swiftly down the length of the counter to hide; she's had enough. The Rodian has also had enough, and zigzags toward the exit [Full dodge + 10 metre movement]. Wex's shot goes wild.

[Round 8]
Wex fires again at the fleeing Rodian, but she is already out the door [Full dodge + move]. His last few angry shots spend his rage on the doorframe.

After a few moments of silence, Oosuu peers round the side of the counter. Seeing no movement, she hazards a look over the top. She sees Wex clambering unsteadily out of the booth.

"Follow Oosuu out back!" she yells.

"But... my friends," contests Wex.

"Oosuu help bring! Hurry!"

Oosuu helps Wex drag the unconscious Zil and Jather out the back of the kitchen and into the filthy alleyway, which smells like drunks from a thousand different systems have been pissing here since the birth of the Old Republic.

"Meet at Oosuu flat. Take key!"

"What're you doing?" asks Wex, confused and a little queasy.

"Oosuu wait cops. Oosuu work here. Not trouble if wait. Suspicious if run."

Wex knows better than to argue.

[Q: How long do authorities take to arrive? 2d6=4 minutes - Zil is out for 7.
Q: Do Imperials arrive? 50/50 (4+): O6 C7
Q: Do they search alley? 50/50 (4+): O2 C8 - No.]

He is still slapping Zil awake when he hears the sirens of several repulsorlift vehicles arriving, and the familiar clacking of white-armoured feet and electronically amplified voices. Fortunately, they are concentrating on the front of the diner, and haven't looked round the back yet. As soon as they both can stand, Wex ushers his friends out into the fresh air.

[Each needs to make a Moderate (12) Sneak roll to get away.]

Jather and Wex have just disappeared around the corner into a side-street when Zil hears a shout behind her.

"Hey you!" calls a stormtrooper. "Stop right there!"

Zil freezes. she turns slowly about, hands half-raised. [1d6=] A single stormtrooper stands in the street behind her. "Just where are you going?" he asks.

"Home!" she says. "Thought I'd take a short cut through this way, and look what I almost get caught up in! This neighbourhood just gets worse and worse. I wish you guys would stick around here all the time; clean up the place a bit."

[She needs a Moderate (15) Con roll; 3D=15]

"Go on home, citizen. The Empire is here now to keep you safe."

Tuesday, 17 January 2017

Star Wars RPG solo - Part 3 : Certain complications arise

The Trandoshan hefts her oversized blaster rifle. "Nothing I like better then cracking open them little white shells," she says. "Sangley, see our friends out to the tunnel. Hexod and Tova, you're with me."

Scene 7

Out of Control (d8)

Setup: escape

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Vudlor Taf the Snivvian Black marketeer, Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the speeder racer

Threads: deliver datapad

The human guard motions for Zil, Bootleg, and Jather to follow. Zil glances over her shoulder as she leaves the guardroom, and sees the Weequays are hurriedly setting up a repeating blaster on a tripod.

Their guide stops the centre of the warehouse, and trips a hidden catch on one of the countless durasteel shipping containers stacked in tottering rows. The front springs open, revealing a ladder leading down. "We'll hold them off long enough for you to get away, but if they send for reinforcements you're on your own. Go!"

He shuts the crate behind them. The tunnel is in almost complete darkness, but dim glowstrips on one wall mark the way. It runs for about a hundred metres, where it ends in a door leading into one of the municipal storm drains. When the door is closed behind them, they can barely see where it had been.

[Stealth rolls: Zil 4D=15, Jather 4D+2=12, Bootleg 2D=8
vs. the stormtroopers' Search 3D=7!

Q: Any guards caught and blab? Unlikely (5+): O2 C1 - No, and...
Q: Any problems with Bootleg's speeder parked out front? 50/50 (4+): O4 C1 - Yes, and...]

They emerge in an enormous, plasticrete drainage ditch, the kind Bootleg used to race speeder bikes in when he was a kid. When they get back up to the street, they notice quite a few patrols of stormtroopers and local police, but manage to evade their notice.

They spend the night in a miserable hotel, and walk back the next afternoon to check on Bootleg's speeder, which is nowhere to be found.

Scene 8

Out of Control (d8)

Setup: d8=4, Interrupt (was: make contact with someone in Vudlor's organisation)
Interrupt: Remote event - Disrupt / The mundane

All holovid stations and datastream alerts carry the important news that due to planetary unrest caused by renegade union leaders committing acts of sabotage and prolonging the illegal transit strike, and separate incidents of unprovoked attacks on the Empire's peacekeeping forces, a curfew of 19:00 has been imposed. Additional stormtrooper patrols have been committed to the streets to ensure the public's safety.

Scene 9

Out of Control (d8)

Setup: make contact with someone in Vudlor's organisation

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Vudlor Taf the Snivvian Black marketeer, Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the speeder racer

Threads: deliver datapad

They repair to a nearby cantina to discuss their next move over food. Bootleg says he'll gladly stay around for the time being. He's afraid of what Zil might do to him if he just left.

Jather says he might as well stay and help since the curfew has made it impossible to do his own errand.

[Jather's result was via UNE: scheming - plan - previous scene. He needs to make a Con roll: 5D+2=14 vs. Zil's Perception 3D=8; she doesn't know he was/is up to something.]

They start making the rounds as best they can, but the curfew and imposition of martial law are making it hard to find anyone willing to talk.

[A Streetwise roll is required to make contact with the local underworld. The base difficulty is Moderate (15), +10 for Martial Law, -5 since the party work for (or are) criminals: total difficulty is thus 20; Zil has the best skill level, 4D+2=14, failure.

They can make another roll in (1d6=) 5 days, which mostly only impacts their credit balance; I deducted 50 credits per day (each) for the hotel, food, and drinks in seedy establishments.

Since they had 5 days, I cycled them through Travelling Alone again, but there was nothing interesting until I rolled Event #12, Meet new PC.]

Wex Enstipo
Template: Gunrunner (human)
Dexterity 2D+2
 Blaster 4+2
 Dodge 3+2
Knowledge 4D
 Streetwise 5D
 Value 5D
Mechanical 4D
Perception 3D

 Bargain 4D
Strength 2D+1
 Brawl 3D+1
Technical 2D

Equipment: blast vest, hold-out blaster, modified heavy blaster pistol (5D+2 damage), 1000 credits

Five days later, our heroes are sitting dejectedly in what seems like the thousandth sticky-floored dive they've found, when Zil notices a familiar face at the bar. Wex Enstipo is a ruggedly handsome scoundrel from some outer rim hellhole who's made a name for himself smuggling guns and assorted heavy weapons into Imperial worlds for anyone who can pay. Zil is singularly immune to his charms, and he seems unafraid of her, which is as near to mutual respect as she has with anyone.

Zil sneaks up and leans on the bar beside him. "Hey, spacer, buy a lady a drink?"

"A lady? No. But I'll buy you one, Zil," laughs Wex.

After bringing him back to the table and making introductions, Zil doesn't waste any time. "So, Wex, how's the old 'import/export' business going?"

"Pretty terrible," says Wex. "But I can't think why."

"Tell me about it! We've been trying to get ahold of Vudlor Taf. And now that he's the man of the hour, it's proving a trifle difficult."

"Now there's a coincidence. I don't know where Vudlor's gone, but I need to find him too. I got a shipment of goods sitting in a hotel room and costing me money."

"Let's work together to find him, then."

[Wex's streetwise 5D=20, success (only just); 1d3+1 days]

It takes the four of them another three days of hunting up scum and making enquiries, but at last they make contact with someone in Vudlor Taf's organisation, who informs them that Vudlor has gone to ground and is hiding out in the back of one of businesses he uses to launder money through, a sweet shop in the Naslagud Market district [location via Scarlet Heroes: Tattered market].

Fortunately it isn't far to walk, since Bootleg is (still) waiting for the wheels of bureaucracy to turn so he can pay the impound fee to get his speeder back. The market itself is almost empty; many stall owners haven't bothered to open up, and more than a few shops are closed as well. When they get to the sweet shop...

[Q: Is Vudlor there when they arrive? Certain (2+): O1 C1 - No, and...
The building is (1d6): 1-2 swarming with cops, 3 swarming with stormtroopers, 4 swarming with rival gang members, 5-6 a burnt out shell]

...they find it surrounded by a human street gang, the Skull Street Stranglers -- definitely not friends of Vudlor Taf. Our heroes do their best imitation of startled pedestrians and try to leave without attracting any attention.

[Stealth rolls to remain unseen/unnoticed:
Zil 4D=14
Jather 4D+2=15
Bootleg 2D=11
Wex 3D=12
 vs. the thugs collective 3D=12]

"Oi, yer!" shouts a voice. Bootleg stiffens at the sound, then immediately realises his mistake. He turns about slowly, and tries to look casual. But the ganger right behind him does a double take. "Bootleg Bardin! Well, I'll be a rancor's chew toy! What'cha doing out here?"

"Just looking for a place to buy booze. That's still open. But you guys look busy, so I'll just get out of your way. I don't want there to be any misunderstandings." [Con 2D=7, spend a character point for +1d6=6, total 13; the thug rolls 2D=10]

"Quite right. It's best you go. You might get hurt if you stick around. And that'd be a real shame, cuz I gots 500 credits riding on your next race!"

Bootleg quickly rejoins the rest of the party, who have repaired to nearby side street. Zil has already concocted a plan to shadow one of the thugs; she will lead, the rest will lag behind until called for. She has Jather keep watch to see when they start to break up, and will wait for him to tell her which street to head down in pursuit.

[Jather needs a Moderate (14) Perception roll to notice them breaking up
(4D+2=18, success) and a similar Hide roll to stay unnoticed (4D+2=22, also success).

Q: Does one go off alone? 50/50 (4+): O5 C2 - Yes, and...

Zil needs a Sneak roll to tail: 4D=15 vs. Search 2D=9, success]

The plan works better than expected, and a lone ganger wanders off on [d6=]his own. Zil pads up behind him in the empty street, and taps him on shoulder as she presses her blaster into the small of his back.

"Keep your hands where I can see them or you'll be in the market for a new spine." [Intimidation 4D+2=13 vs. Willpower 2D=4]

The thug put his hands up in the air, and freezes as Zil deftly removes the blaster from under his coat. She sticks it in her belt, and calls her friends. She ushers the ganger in to a filthy alleyway , and the others arrive soon after.

"OK, talk," growls Zil, her blaster pressed up under the ganger's neck.

"What about? I nee--"

"Don't play games with me! What were you all doing at the sweet shop? Why are you messing with Vudlor Taf?" [Easy (10) Intimidation roll: 4D+2=13]

"I saw the holonews," says the ganger. "So he's ruined in the eyes of the public -- who cares? He's a criminal. We ruin his operation -- so much the better." [hostile - resentment - enemy]

"What have you got against him?" [Moderate (15) Intimidation roll: 4D+2=17]

"This is personal between our gang and Vudlor. But if his friends want to try hiding him from us, we can't promise that they won't get caught in the crossfire." [hostile - shelter - friends]

"So where the hell is he?"

"Do I look like his mummy?"

"Don't get smart with me. I ask you again: Where. Is. He?" Zil punctuates the words of her question by grabbing his shoulders and slamming him against the wall. But a glazed look suddenly comes over his eyes, and he falls at her feet. Then Zil notices the rusty, protruding pipe she's just managed to impale him upon.

"Ah, hells..." she says.

[She had needed another Intimidation roll, but the Wild die came up as a 1, indicating a complication. Her total was a mere 4D+2=11, so she didn't get any information, either.]

Scene 10

Out of Control (d8)

Setup: regroup & try again

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Vudlor Taf the Snivvian Black marketeer, Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner

Threads: deliver datapad

[Time for another Streetwise roll: the difficulty increases by +5 to 25 (Very Difficult) due to things getting generally worse. Wex rolls 5D=21, failure.]

They spend another [1d6=] 5 days trying to find someone who can put them in touch with Vudlor Taf, but the martial law and repeated attacks on Taf's holdings make it a seemingly impossible task. Nerves within their little band are also beginning to fray. Zil and Wex are determined to find Vudlor Taf for their own ends, but both Jather and Bootleg are having second thoughts about sticking round.

[Q: Do either of them bail? 50/50 (4+): O6 C8 - Yes.
Q: Why is Jather staying on, then? Imitate / A path]

Jather seriously considers leaving, then thinks better of it. He feels he must make Zil think he's still helping. Besides, he's been pretending too long to back out now, and the delay is well past the point he was paid to effect.

[Q: Any trouble with Bootleg leaving? Unlikely (5+): O6 C6 - Yes.
From? 1-2 J, 3-4 W, 5-6 J&W: 2
+Event: Close a thread (deliver datapad) - Change / Danger (rival gang now after party -- see below)]

On the morning of the 5th day, Zil's comlink buzzes. She answers excitedly, hoping it's a lead.

"Hey Bootleg," she says a little dejectedly, "that was the impound lot. They said you can come in this afternoon to pay the fee and get your speeder back."

"Finally!" he says. "In that case, I'll be seeing you guys."

"What do you mean?" asks Jather.

"I mean I'm done with this mess. I'm heading back to the track to get some practice laps in before my next race. This has been fun and all, but you guys are seriously bad news. I'm lucky I didn't lose my speeder. Or my head!"

"I thought you were trying to help us for real," says Jather. "You telling me you've just been dead weight this whole time?"

"Dead weight? You sleemos wouldn't even be over here if I hadn't of took pity on you! [sic]"

Jather can hardly find words to reply, but moves towards Bootleg with menace screaming behind his eyes. Zil's never seen him like this before, and decides she should step in before things get ugly. [She needs a Moderate (15) Intimidation roll to separate them: 4D+2 =15]

Zil stands between them and pushes them apart. After a moment's hesitation, Bootleg storms off without uttering another word. Jather retreats to the toilet to sulk.

"Phew!" says Wex, holstering his blaster, "I was afraid I was going to have to shoot one of 'em."

The rest of the day is uneventful. But on the following morning, whilst waiting for Wex to be done in the shower, Zil and Jather are absently watching the hotel room's holovid. The trashy talkshow (my husband left me -- for an astromech droid!) is interrupted for an important news bulletin: notorious crimelord Vudlor Taf has been [1-3 captured, 4-6 killed] captured by Imperial forces. A speedy trial and swift restitution to his victims is promised by the Imperial planetary governor, in the name of public order.

Upon hearing the news, Zil steps outside to call her boss.

[Q: Can Zil get hold of Porubek? Likely (3+): O1 C5 - No.]

"Any Luck?" asks Jather when she comes back in.

"None. It's prolly the increased Imperial presence, though. He'll want to stay hidden too, and he does tend to think the Empire is listening in on his calls."

They aren't sure what to do next, but decide to leave the hotel room for the day as usual in order to stay sane. Whilst they're out and about...

[Party's best Perception (Jather 4D+2) vs. Mysterious pursuers' Sneak (3D): 15 vs. 12]

"Don't turn round, but we're being followed," says Jather quietly.

"Who by?" asks Zil,

"It's [1d6+1=] a pair of heavies."

"Can we lose them?"

"We can try..."

[Their Search (2D) vs. the party's worst Sneak (Wex -- also 2D): 5 vs. 11]

Jather leads them into a crowded street, and when he thinks there are enough beings between them and the heavies, he says to split up and double back to the cantina they just left. Our heroes lose the heavies in the crowd, and make their way cautiously back to their hotel before curfew.

"Now what?" asks Jather.

Thursday, 12 January 2017

Star Wars RPG solo - Part 2 : Looking for Vudlor Taf

"...that was the Modal Nodes' classic, Outer Rim Lady. You're listening to Smooth Night Sounds on frequency 80956-ab, Ord Mantell's favourite audi-cast station. We've got another request coming up in a moment, but first, this important news bulletin:

"The Imperial authorities have graciously agreed to step in and assist the beleaguered civilian government of Ord Mantell in ending the illegal strike which has been causing so much chaos for the planet. The OMTransit Union leaders who have struck this blow against planetary security and harmony are even now being arrested, and will be tried as befits criminals of their calibre. A return to normal transit operation is expected within the week.

"Well, they're finally sending in the stormtroopers to get this sorted. I don't know about you, my loyal listeners, but my pseudopods are killing me from walking to work every day.

"Our next request goes out to Yzisklo from Hhajan-dal. She says she's sorry she put hydrogen sulphate in your Type-1 atmosphere respirator, and she hopes the two of you can work things out..."

Scene 4

Average (d10)

Setup: crossing the planet

[Q: Any complications? Certain (2+) O1 C1 - No, and...
+Event: Remote event - Oppress / Hope: Empire arresting union leaders to break strike (see above)]

Scene 5

Average (d10)

Setup: looking for Vudlor Taf

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Vudlor Taf the Snivvian Black marketeer, Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the speeder racer

Threads: deliver datapad

The trip across the continent is mostly uneventful. Bootleg Bardin is an expert racer, so weaving in and out of traffic to get to the open roadway is second nature to him, and the speeder's flight ceiling allows them to stay in the lesser-used top zone (100m) for most of the trip. They'd have made record time if Jather hadn't had to make them stop at almost every services to use the facilities.

The Henxell district is evenly divided between factories, warehouses, and low-rent workers' accommodation blocks. Offworlders rarely venture this far, though there is a minor starport for freight transfers. The lines between legal and criminal activity are blurred here, as many crime bosses own the warehouses which see a large number of perfectly mundane goods in and out in order to mask smuggling operations. Some of the minor bosses accidentally went legit when pursuing lucrative Imperial contracts.

The dashboard clock reads 24:17 as Bootleg is finding a place to park his speeder next to their destination, [rolling on the Scarlet Heroes urban location table], a large, unmarked warehouse. Despite the late hour, the streets are full of beings; swing shift has just let off. 

[Q: Random encounter? 50/50 (4+): O4 C2 - Yes, and...
BOLD Waylay: easy foes - mooks - leeching
solution: strong attribute

Zil's Intimidation (4D+2=17) vs. the thugs Willpower (+5 since they outnumbered the party: 2D+5=13]

They exit the speeder, stretch a little, then Zil leads them (she hopes) in the direction of the nearest entrance. An unkempt human youth crosses the street and begins following them. Another joins him. Then an angry rodian girl, and a scruffy squib. An equal number of hoods approach them from the front.

The ostensible leader, a young barabel, swaggers forth to address the weary travellers. "Got us some new faces in the district, I see. You shlorms must not have got the message yet, but anyone what wants to cross the Grey Gundarks' turf has to--"

"Shut up, child!" shouts Zil. The barabel winces in surprise, and fumbles for her next words. Zil continues in a more measured tone. "I'm sure Vudlor Taf would love to know his HQ is in the middle of Grey Gundark territory. We've got pressing business with him, but I'll make sure to let him know. I'm sure he'll send a couple of his people out to settle up with you."

"Hey, sorry, we made a mistake--"

"I suggest you run along home before you make another. And if we find so much as a fingerprint on my friend's speeder, he'll have your hides for seat covers."

[Q: Is Vudlor there? 50/50 (4+): O1 C9 - No.]

Zil leads her friends to the entrance, and buzzes to be let in.

"Yeah?" crackles the reply over the speaker.

"It's Zil Lhahon. I need to see Vudlor Taf."

A few moments later, the door slides open to reveal an enormous trandoshan, standing over two metres tall. He right arm has been replaced with a heavy, industrial strength hydraulic prosthesis. She looks Zil up and down, then glances at her companions.

"He ain't here."

"Porubek sent me. I need to give Vudlor this datapad. In person. Urgently. It's time-sensitive, so I had to get myself a racer to play chauffeur." [Zil needs to make a Moderate (12) Persuasion roll: 4D=15, success]

"Yeah, ok. You know where the Henxell power substation is...?"

Scene 6

Average (d10)

Setup: looking for Vudlor Taf redux
d10=2, Altered - Cruelty / Extravagance

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Vudlor Taf the Snivvian Black marketeer, Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the speeder racer

Threads: deliver datapad

The trandoshan gives them directions according to landmarks, for this part of urban Ord Mantell has no address markings, not being intended for offworlders. They go back to Bootleg's speeder, and he follows the route precisely to their destination, one of Vudlor Taf's reeking sweatshops [according to the Scarlet Heroes location table].

As they get nearer, they see a column of black smoke rising into the sky, and soon realise it is marking the very building they seek. The fire still rages out of control, in spite of the efforts of dozens of civil defence droids.

They flit back to Vudlor's warehouse before the police -- or worse, the Imperials -- cordon off the streets. The trandoshan opens the door again when they buzz, her mien as surly ever.

"Now what?"

"Uh, there's been a slight problem," says Zil. "Someone had torched the place before we got there. The streets are crawling with droids and it looks like the news crews were on their way." [Zil needs a Moderate (15) Persuasion roll to get anything from the guards: 4D=20, she would have made a Difficult roll, so gets full cooperation.]

"Come in. We can talk."

[Q: Do Vudlor's guards know anything? Unlikely (5+): O1 C1 - No, and... just as surprised as the party.
+Event: Move away from a thread - Care / The public]

They go into the guards' smoky room, where two weequay and a human are sitting round a table, having suddenly lost interest in the game of sabaac they were playing. One of the weequays turns up the volume on the holovid player, where our heroes see a familiar scene being played out.

"...coming to you live from the scene of the fire which has gutted several tenements in the Henxell district. The fire is believed to have started in an illegal droid refurbishing shop, operated by the property owner, notorious criminal Vudlor Taf. This being's negligence in failing provide the most basic safety precautions has resulted in the blaze which has left a hundred families homeless tonight, and..."

"Turn it off," says the trandoshan, as the screen shows a wretched Bith clutching several malnourished younglings, who begins an emotional plea to the Empire to bring Vudlor Taf to account for his crimes.

[Q: Cops on the way? 50/50 (4+): O6 C9 - Yes]

The door buzzer sounds again, and the trandoshan peers at the spycam feed. She mutters a word under her breath in a language none of the others understand, but whose meaning could not be more clear, then grabs up her heavy blaster rifle leaning against the wall.

"Stormtroopers," she says.

Sunday, 8 January 2017

Star Wars RPG solo - setup & Part 1

After an unplanned hiatus, I'm back to chronicling solo adventures with (yet another) new campaign, using the old Star Wars RPG.

I'd been playing a lot of published solitaire adventures (mostly for T&T and DSA) and as the excitement of a new Star Wars film was building I thought I might have another go at some of the old D6 Star Wars solos. Years ago, before starting this blog, I had been messing about with Star Wars character ideas and made a PC that I never ended up using. I thought I might just dust her off, but part of the reason I never used her was that her history seemed to have two major threads that didn't mesh all that well, and which also spread her skills pretty thin. The most interesting part of the story was how and why she came to join the Rebellion. Now that I've discovered Mythic, it seems like that would be a better story to play through. So then,

Setting & Character

The game will be set during the Rebellion period, some time before the battle of Yavin. I will leave it a bit vague to start. The events of A New Hope would make good Remote Events in Mythic parlance, should the Oracle seem to suggest it, and they might be catalyzing factors in the life of our someday-heroine.

The game will start amongst the criminal element in an urban sprawl on Ord Mantell, which seems an appropriately dismal planet in the Mid-rim. And here it is that I should probably mention that my usual mode of running Star Wars has a lot in common with cyberpunk adventures, seasoned with a hefty dose of film noir; I once ran a game wherein my friend's minor jedi PC had to meet his underworld contact in Riq's Café Alderaan.

So then, onto the character creation. I'm using the 2nd edition (blue cover) WEG Star Wars D6 rules, more-or-less as written, because last year after The Force Awakens came out I bought a second-hand copy of the rulebook in a fit of nostalgia (and remorse for giving my original one away, though it at least went to a good home). Character creation was completely standard (18D attributes, 7D skills), though I did make a custom Template.

Zil Lhahon 
Template: fixer; human female
Dexterity 3D+1
 Blaster 4D+1
 Dodge 4D+1
Knowledge 3D+2
 Intimidation 4D+2
 Streetwise 4D+2
 Willpower 4D+2
Mechanical 3D
Perception 3D

 Persuasion 4D
 Sneak 4D
Strength 2D+2
Technical 2D+1

Equipment: datapad, comlink, hold-out blaster, 1000 credits

- - -

My toolkit for the game will be:
  • D6 Star Wars (2nd ed.) for the rules
  • tons of supplements for the above
  • Mythic GME with my MCSV for the oracle
  • UNE & BOLD for NPCs and events
  • Scarlet Heroes for the random urban tables
  • Wookiepedia for additional information, mostly about aliens races and planets (though if you don't know what an particular alien species looks like, a simple google search turns up plenty of pictures)

I wasn't sure what to do for the first adventure, so I turned to the Travelling Alone charts to see what would fall out naturally; it's worked well before. I didn't quite get to the end of the first week before I had current events on the planet and a mission. So then...

The adventure begins:

Night was settling over the plasticrete jungle that was Ord Mantell City. Zil Lhahon was already up and walking through the market square. She was looking at a night off if her comlink stayed silent, but she couldn't rightly think of how to spend it. There was an uneasy feeling in her stomach, but she put it down to the liquor she'd had for breakfast -- certainly not that nagging conscience thing again. Either way, she figured, some food couldn't hurt.

She fought her way through the market square, scarcely having to break her long stride as the crowd seemed to recoil from her. Perhaps it was the brutal confidence in her unyielding gait. Maybe the livid circles under her eyes just made her look like she'd caught the Tarxian plague.

She went up to her favourite kiosk, jumped the queue, and ordered a #4 with extra purple sauce, hold the zlonks.

"You sure 'bout that, Zil?" asked the aged Arcona behind the counter. "They're fresh today."

"I'm sure, Nallo," she replied. "Fresh or not, I think they taste nasty."

"You're missing out," said the Arcona, scooping out shredded meat onto the thermacooker. "But speaking of nasty, can you believe the repulsortube strike has been going on for six days?"

"Lucky I walk to work."

"I heard the union think they got the backing of the Imperial Governor."

"Seems unlikely."

"You're telling me! Way I see it, They just don't want to send in stormtroopers to break the strike. Can't risk damaging the planetary infrastructure. You want it wrapped?"

"Nah, too hungry. I'll eat and walk." Zil threw down ten credits on the counter and told him to keep the change.

"You're my best customer, you are."

Zil waved goodbye to the vendor, who was already extolling the virtues of fresh zlonks to a sceptical Trandoshan who was next in the queue. True to her word, Zil already had a mouthful of the steaming stew as she began wading back through the throng. She wasn't sure what animal provided the meat protein for this feast, but the sauce was flavourful and not just loaded with salt like at the other stalls.

She'd barely gotten 50 metres when a hand clamped down firmly on her shoulder from behind. Zil wheeled about, shot a death glare at the scarred Zabrak who'd grabbed her, then voiced her displeasure at the alien.

"Ahngi' ngrafung ahm ee ung!"


"I said, 'Dammit Krasstun, I'm eating!'"

"Boss asked me to find you. I was just going to have some food myself, then call you up. But since you're here..."

"Since I'm here..."

The Zabrak slipped a cheap datapad into her jacket pocket. "You need to take this to Vudlor Taf. Quickly."

"But he's halfway across the continent. How am I supposed to get there with this strike on?"

"Not my problem. Later, Zil."

- - -

Writing that out in the strict sequence of how the dice fell would have been a terribly bland way to start, but for the sake of recent discussions on session notes in the Lone Wolf community, I present here the completely unedited transcript (it's short; scroll down to Scene 1 if you prefer to skip it).

Trav alone
-Upkeep: ~break even as still employed~
-buy equip: wander through market on day off
-Event: 64 Asked to carry message
 run into $runner, says boss wants this datapad to go to...?
SH: Within a week’s ride (= a few hours by the repulsortube network)
    take to Vudlor Taf, snivvian Black marketeer

Q: Does Zil know much about person? 50/50: O5 C5 - yes, +Event
Move away from a thread - Adversity / Adversities

tube network shutdown
reason: 1-2 strike 3 rebels 4-5 construction 6 sabotage: 1

Shit, how am I supposed to get there with this strike on?
Not my problem.

-seek patron (not looking)
-rumour: location data, planet; minor, annoyance  -1, Lie / Allies

The strikers think they have the backing of the local Imperial governor, who's really just trying to avoid using troops to break the strike because of the potential for planetary infrastructure damage

-Options. May take any Action, initiate new project, take a job etc.

And from there the adventure went into scenes.

Scene 1

Average (d10)

Setup: prepare for journey

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crime lord (Zil's boss), Vudlor Taf the Snivvian Black marketeer

Threads: find private transport, deliver datapad

"So," thinks Zil to herself as she tucks into her #4 with renewed zeal, "just how in the hell am I going to cross half the planet when the repulsortube network is out of commission? Taxis are chartered through to next year... who do I know that has a speeder?"

[Q: Does Zil know someone who might have a speeder? Likely (3+): O3 C3 - Yes, but... not on good terms with them.
+Event: Introduce a new NPC - Procrastinate / Tactics

For Introduce a new NPC events, I am selecting random character templates and giving them 7D worth of skills as starting characters if they look like they'll be sticking round. For now, I'm pulling them from the Platt's Smugglers Guide and the Independents section of Heroes & Rogues (50% chance of either).]

Zil finishes her food and wends her way through the multitudes out of the market. She is drifting up the main street and absently looking in the shop windows when she hears a familiar voice call out to her.

"Heya, Zil, long time no see."

Zil stiffens, hoping she'll see anyone else when she turns round. But no, there he is, just as she'd feared. Jather Plazeed looks shifty, even by Devaronian standards. His eyes are always flicking this way and that, as if he's expecting to be jumped at any second. Then there's the rictus grin, exposing his sharp, uneven teeth, the stooping posture, the nervous hand-rubbing, and a sartorial sense that can only be described as having-gotten-dressed-in-the-dark.

Zil sighed inwardly. "What d'ya want, Jather? I'm really busy."

"Really? You don't look it."

"I'm out running an errand."

"You don't say. For our mutual friend?"

"Yes. Definitely in the name of friendship. Call me a big softie."

NPC Relationship: distrustful
Conversation Mood: neutral
inquisitive - scepticism - skills
Rolling 1d6 to determine a controlling attribute for the skill in question came up with Technical; the Security skill made the most sense.]

"I'm surprised he'd tap you," says the Devaronian.

"And just what is that supposed to mean?"

"I heard you weren't exactly in his good books, what with you making such a mess playing infiltrator t'other day."

"Infiltrator? What--? Who've you been talking to?"

[Q: Does he say? Unlikely (5+): O5 C1 - Yes, and...
random template = Outlaw Tech; d6=m]

"It was Walout Etch. And he should know."

"That grubby mynock! You actually believe a word he says?"

[Q: Does he? 50/50: O1 C7 - No.]

"Well of course not! But he was there to see it. And you know, other people might not be so perspicacious about his account."

[Q: Is there anything to this? rather than using the oracle, it makes more sense to roll a Security skill check. I set the difficulty at Moderate, so she'd need a 12 or better. Her skill is at the default level of her Technical attribute: 2D+1=9, which would be a failure, but the Wild Die came up a 6, so she gets to add another 1d6 to her total; 1d6=3, so she (just barely) succeeded.]

"Look, I made a mistake," Zil practically shouts, and the Devaronian takes a step back in spite of himself. "I almost tripped the alarm in that foreman's office. Could 'a happened to anyone. But --and here's the thing-- I didn't, and I got us in and out with the goods. 'Twas a non-event. And I never said I was no sneak thief anyways."

Zil takes a deep breath and Jather pretends to brush some dirt off his wide, yellow plaid collar.

NPC Relationship: neutral
Conversation Mood: sociable
scheming - proposition - last action]

"Why'd the boss ask you to do it, then?" asks Jather.

"I dunno. Maybe because I don't mess these things up."

"That why you're being sent on a trip?"

"That was fast... how'd you know?"

"It's no great mystery. Krasstun told me he's just seen you."

"Make your point."

"It just so happens I need to get to that part of the planet as well. I was wondering how you're going to get there. What with the strike and all."

"I was thinking of asking Ghrohhji for a lift."

[Q: Is Jather on good terms with Ghrohhji? Unlikely (5+): O5 C9 - Yes.]

"Good idea, Zil! You're lucky to have me along, then. Ghrohhji likes me much better than you."

"Let's go see him then."

Jather Plazeed
Template: Devaronian grifter
Dexterity 3D
 Dodge 4D
Knowledge 3D+2
 Streetwise 4D+2
 Value 4D+2
Mechanical 2D
 Repulsorlift operation 3D
Perception 4D+2
 Con 5D+2
 Gambling 5D+2
 Persuasion 5D+2
Strength 2D
Technical 2D+2

Equipment: 3 fake IDs, datapad, hold-out blaster, chronometer, 1000 credits

Scene 2

Average (d10)

Setup: can we get a lift?

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crime lord (Zil's boss), Vudlor Taf the Snivvian Black marketeer, Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Ghrohhji

Threads: find private transport, deliver datapad

"So, are you going to call him first?" asks Zil expectantly.

"Ghrohhji only lives a few kilometres away," replies Jather. "It's not a bad walk. It might be better if we drop in on him unannounced. Give him less time to make up an excuse."

"Good thinking."

It takes them about an hour to get to their destination, a duracrete flat block with fading glowstrips on the outside walkways and a perpetually broken turbolift. Jather says he'll go in alone, as he'll have a better chance of getting Ghrohhji's help if Zil isn't there.

She waits on the pavement out front, and when Jather doesn't come right back she knows that at least he's made it in Ghrohhji's front door. Then she waits. And waits. And waits some more. Once she thinks she sees eyes peering out from behind window blinds, and hopes it's just the nosey Ithorian that lives above Ghrohhji, and that the look doesn't spell doom for her enterprise.

[If you will recall, the Event that introduced Jather was explained by the Oracle as Procrastinate / Tactics, so, for reasons I didn't actually figure out until much later, he is really trying to work against her. Therefore, Jather is going to do his best to make sure Ghrohhji doesn't help them. Ghrohhji has just been a name until now, so I made him an average member of an alien species selected at random: Dresselian (aka Prune Face).

Asking for help when you are trying to be turned down sounds like the example in the rulebook of using Persuasion for a low-level con, so there's a one die penalty to Jather's skill: 4D+2=23 (the wild die helped). Ghrohhji resists with Perception: 2D=4]

Jather walks out of the building looking even more stooped than usual. Zil isn't sure she's ever seen him without a smile before.

"That shrivelled prat won't lift a finger to help us. I tried begging, flattery, offered him money... nothing! Some people!"

[His Con 5D+2=29 (the wild die again!) vs. her Perception 3D=6]

Zil believes him.

Scene 3

Out of Control (d8)

Setup: d8=3, Interrupt (was: look for other transport)
Interrupt: Introduce a new NPC - Excitement / Vehicle

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crime lord (Zil's boss), Vudlor Taf the Snivvian Black marketeer, Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter

Threads: find private transport, deliver datapad

Zil and Jather have retired to a quiet cantina to discuss what to do next in order to secure transport. Zil even pays for Jather's drink to let him know there's no hard feelings for failing to convince Ghrohhji to lend them his speeder. She'd known it was a long shot.

A young man walks towards the exit, wearing a milk-blue jumpsuit festooned with racing patches and logos of repulsorlift parts manufacturers. He does a double-take when he sees our heroes sitting in their booth, and his face brightens.

"Hey! Hey [1d2=] Jather! How's it going?" he calls out, striding over to them.

"Oh... Bootleg. Hi."

"Say, what brings you out this way?"

"Oh, you know," mumbles Jather. "Social calls."

"Ghrohhji has something we want," interrupts Zil, "but he's holding out."

"You know how intractable he is," says Jather.

"I see. I, uh, hope you didn't have to bust his knees or anything like that," says the young man, hazarding a glance at Zil.

"No," she says thoughtfully. "But now that you mention it: how's the old speeder racing business these days?"

"Fine, fine. I'm in the black with your boss, still, aren't I? I just don't want to have to throw any more races, y'know."

"Well, if you do us a favour, you'll really keep him on side!"

[Zil's Persuasion 4D vs. Bootleg's Willpower (defaulting to Knowledge) 2D: 19 vs. 8, she succeeds.]

"Favour?" he asks.

"We need to go to the Henxell district. You do have a working speeder, don't you?"

"Sure do! Let me just drop by Ghrohhji's gaff and drop off this power converter I borrowed. Then I'm all yours."

[Q: Does Jather have a way to stall? unknown odds, 1d6=5, Unlikely (5+): O2 C8 - No.]

"Great. Where do we meet?"

"I'll come back here. Gimme a couple hours, then we can go."

"See you then."

[The Excitement / Vehicle result made the choice of template for the new NPC obvious.

Crammer "Bootleg" Bardin
Template: Speeder Racer, human male
Dexterity 3D+1
 Dodge 4D+1
Knowledge 2D
 Business 3D
Mechanical 4D
 Repulsorlift operation 6D
Perception 2D
 Bargain 3D
Strength 2D+2
Technical 4D

 Repulsorlift repair 6D

Equipment: blaster pistol, Racing airspeeder, flight suit, crash vest, crash helmet, 500 credits

Jather couldn't be obstructive when Zil was watching. He'll have to delay elsewhere. Also, these first few scenes were making me wonder if the actual genre of this adventure was less cyberpunk and more 90s slacker film. But that will change soon enough.]