Monday, 30 January 2017

Star Wars RPG solo - Part 7 : A change or two of scenery

Their meeting with the urbane Mr. Kuththuk concluded, Wex and Oosuu head back out into the streets. Oosuu says she needs to run some errands since they're in this part of town. They wander down a  few streets to find an electronics shop, where Oosuu has Wex buy her some odds & ends. Browsing the shop affords ample opportunity to see if they're being followed.

[Q: Are they being followed? unknown odd 1d6=1, 100%; chaos die = 3, but... the tail is concentrating on Oosuu rather than Wex, as she does not blend in as well to the crowd.
Her Search (4D+2) vs. the tail's Sneak (4D): 18 vs. 10, spotted
Her Sneak (4D+2) vs. the tail's Search (4D): 20 vs. 18
Q: Do they know where Oosuu lives? Unlikely (5+): O1 C5 - No. (she's subletting the flat, so no public records)]

They head back to Oosuu's through a public market, where they easily give their pursuer the slip amongst the stalls.

Scene 17

back down to Madness (d6)

Setup: d6=4, Interrupt (was: new plans)
Interrupt: Remote event - Celebrate / Dispute

This just in!

Following weeks of unrest caused by rebellious minority factions attempting to subvert the legitimate government of Ord Mantell, the Imperial Governor is delighted to announce the complete restoration of order and harmony to our planet. The repulsortube network is once again operating at peak efficiency, and the planetary curfew has now been officially lifted. The Governor hopes that you will once again enjoy Ord Mantell's diverse and exciting nightlife, and join him in raising a glass to the 296th Stormtrooper division, whose decisive actions took the fight right into the insurgent's lair, and cleansed our planet of the miasma of their insidious plot. When asked if Stormtrooper patrols would remain in force, the Governor responded, "although I had intended to greatly scale back their numbers now that the crisis is past, my office has been flooded with entreaties from members of the public to keep them on the streets. I have therefore signed an order to maintain the patrols at their current levels, and have petitioned the Moff for an increased number to troops to be stationed at the planetary garrison. The Empire is concerned only for your safety, citizen."

Scene 18

Madness (d6)

Setup: new plans

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner, Oosuu the Twi'lek waitress, Xzag-Xzan the crime boss (Jather's sometime patron), Chruighok the rival crime boss, Major Riilina Cazerdy the human mercenary (Wex's ex-flame), Mr. Kuththuk the genteel Trandoshan (Morga the Hutt's lieutenant)

Threads: find powerful patron

Back at the flat, Wex relates the circumstances of their meeting with Mr. Kuththuk.

"I still think we should try to broker a deal with Morga, " says Zil. "We can offer the datapad in exchange for protection."

"It's a real long shot," says Wex. "Couldn't we go to someone else?"

"Like who?" says Jather. "Morga's in a different class than anyone locally. Doesn't matter how they feel about Chruigok; they hear that Morga's looking for us on her behalf, they'd give us up in a second just to keep Morga sweet."

"Call him, then. Tell him we can make clemency worth Morga's while."

[Zil needs a Moderate (15) Persuasion roll: 4D=16, success; but the Wild die =1, complication]

Wex makes the call that same evening, with Zil, Jather, and Oosuu sitting silently by. He calls well before (he hopes) Mr. Kuththuk will be at the opera. It wouldn't do to disturb him! The call gets through at once, but unbeknownst to them all, activating the comlink triggers a homing device planted within it [the complication from Zil's skill check].

"Mr. Enstipo," says the Trandoshan, "so good to hear from you. And so promptly!"

"Yeah. Look, I know where Zil is, but she wanted me to tell you she has something to trade, something infinitely more valuable than Chriugok's little vendetta."

[Wex needs a Moderate (15) Persuasion roll to pique the Trandoshan's interest: 3D=9, failure.

NPC Relationship: distrustful
Conversation Mood: neutral
knowing - records - flaws]

"I was afraid this might happen. Really, Mr. Enstipo, if you know where she is you should hand her over. Whom would you prefer as a friend, the great Morga, or that awful Ms. Lhahon. And conversely, whom would you prefer as an enemy?"

"But she's got something special to offer. Something big."

"Find her for me, Mr. Enstipo. I do not intend to tell you again."

"Fine. I'll see what I can do."

[Q: Time limit? 50/50 (4+): O5 C6 - Yes.
1d6: 1-2 1d6 hours, 3-4 1 day, 5-6 1d6 days
Q: Time limit explicitly stated? 50/50 (4+): O4 C5 - Yes.]

"You have 24 hours, Mr. Enstipo." »click«

"That went well," says Zil.

"I'd say he knows we're allies," says Wex.

"You sure about that?" asks Jather.

"It's safe to assume. I don't like our chances if we split up, so..."

"Wex good person," says the Twi'lek. "Oosuu glad have Wex on side."

"Lovely," says Zil. "But how do I know he won't sell me out to the Hutt to save you. And himself."

"Because, my dear paranoid Zil, I took out some of Chruighok's hoods alongside you. I think that makes us a package deal."

"He's got a point, Zil," says Jather. "Even if Morga goes away happy, Chruigok won't. Don't forget, one got away..."

"So now what do we do?" asks Zil. "We can't hide in this dump forev--"

"What you call dump?!"

"Please, not now Oosuu."

"Sorry, Wex."

"I didn't mean anything by it, Oosuu," says Zil. "Just a little stir crazy from being cooped up in here for so long. but I repeat: now what do we do? Anyone got any brilliant ideas?"

[It will take a Difficult (20) Streetwise roll to think of someone/thing to help:

Z 4D+2= 13
O 2D+1= 12
J 4D+2= 20 but wild die=1, complication
W 5D  = 17]

"It's a long shot," says Jather, "but I might know [1d6=] a guy."

"Who?" asks Zil.

"Drubal Has."

[random template = Quarren Swindler, Heroes and Rogues p82]
Q: Does anyone know the name? Doubtful (6): O5 C6 - No.]


"An old buddy of mine. He owns an antique shop in Skestl District. Some of his pieces are even genuine."

"That does sound like one of your friends, Jather," says Zil.

"I was thinking," continues Jather, ignoring Zil's comment, "how he's always shipping stuff offworld, so..."

"That's your plan?"

"I'm pretty sure we need to go. Somewhere far, far away from here."

"He's right," says Wex. "Things are far too hot here."

"Oosuu say go all along."

Jather calls his friend...

[Q: Gets through? 50/50 (4+): O4 C6 - Yes]

...and explains that he and a few mates need a place to hide and from which they can make a sneaky trip offworld. Drubal agrees, saying they can come this evening and stay in the back of his shop whilst he arranges transport offworld.

[Q: Problem getting there? 50/50 (4+): O5 C1 - Yes, and...
rolling Perception (Oosuu 4D+2) vs. stealth (2D): 17 vs. 7]

Oosuu throws a few things in a bag -- she owns nothing of sentimental value anymore -- and leads the way out. She gets barely ten steps down the [3d6x10=] 110m long corridor when she suddenly turns about.

"Quick. Back to room! Shhh! Tell when inside," she says.

"We're being watched, then?" says Jather.

"Blast!" curses Zil.

"Are [d6=4] four goons loitering in corridor. Not neighbours. Bulgy guns in coats! Oosuu see even far off."

"How do we get past them?" asks Wex.

"Two both sides! Not know!"

"Where are the exits?" asks Zil.

"Turbolift broken. Stairs near, or far other way. Goons block both sides!

"We need a diversion," says Zil.

"Oosuu make diversion. But then run!"

"What did you have in mind?"

"Jather, where put Oosuu molecular bonding tape?"

"I arranged all your supplies in the empty kitchen cabinet."

"That why Oosuu not find anything. Get, please. Wex, Zil, get power packs out of rubbish blasters."

[Q: Are there enough spare power packs with energy left in them? 50/50 (4+): O6 C6 - Yes. 2d6=8
+Event: NPC action - Porubek - Violate / Tension (sending thugs who will make a mess)]

As each power pack is handed to her, Oosuu adjusts the pack for maximum intensity. She divides the treated power packs into two groups of four, which she binds together using the tape, and loosens an overload strum dowel in a power pack in each set.

[She is making 2 blaster power pack bombs (Cracken's Rebel Field guide, p.76). She needs an Easy (10) blaster repair roll for each: 4D= 19, 14.]

"Very unstable. Pull dowel out and throw. Who good arm?"

Zil and Jather volunteer. Oosuu opens the door, and they pull the pins, step out in to the corridor and throw the bombs, ducking quickly back inside. One explodes almost immediately, the other about 15 seconds later.

[The two sets of goons have moved to within 3d6m of Oosuu's front door: 7m & 9m, making the throw difficulty 10 & 15 respectively. The nearest stairs are 50m to the left.

after pulling the 'pins', it takes 1 round to move & throw. The bombs explode on round 1d6= 4 & 2 (rolling a 1 would have been disastrous for our heroes).
Attack rolls were Zil 3D+1=14, Jather 3D=23! (Wild die 6+5+2)

Typical bounty hunters: DEX 3D, blaster 4D, dodge 4D; KNO 1D+2; MEC 1D+2, repulsorlift operation 2D+2; PER 2D; STR 2D+2, brawling 3D+2; TEC 1D.

The two down the corridor to the right take full (4D) damage: one wounded, one killed. The two on the left have 3 rounds to back out of the blast radius, so are unharmed.]

As soon as the second explosion rips through the corridor, our heroes rush out, blasters at the ready. Wex and Oosuu turn to the right, where they see a single Nikto in a long dark coat standing about 10m away. Her companion is sprawled motionless beside her. Zil and Jather face left, where they see a pair of Klatoonians beyond the scorched section of hallway where the second bomb exploded.

[Round 1 - party wins initiative]
Red and green streaks of light flash out down the corridor. Wex and Zil dart across the corridor as they fire, trying not to present a good target. Oosuu and Jather fire from the doorway for cover. The Nikto flattens herself against a doorway to make somewhat less of a target. The two Klatoonians stand their ground, blazing away. [all fire&dodge, except the Klatoonians]

A stray shot singes the Nikto's coat, but she is otherwise unharmed [damage < Strength roll]. Jather leans just a bit too far out form the door, and a blaster bolt hits him full in the chest.

[Jather has 2D Strength, and rolls snake eyes; the wild die cancels the highest (only) other die, so his total is 0. He can spend up to 5 character points to increase his total by 1d6 each, before damage is rolled. He spends 1 (+4), 2 (+1), 3(+3) points for a total of 8; damage is 4D=17; he's Incapacitated.]

The blaster drops from Jather's limp fingers and he collapses into the hall.

[Round 2]
The Nikto tries to evade the bolts streaking towards her as she squeezes off another shot. Wex and Oosuu catch her in a crossfire, and she is dead before she hits the floor. [Damage rolls were Dead & Incapacitated]

Zil is shocked to see Jather go down, and almost forgets to move. She and the Klatoonians all simply stand and fire shot after shot at one another. One of the Klatoonians is wounded in the exchange, but scarcely flinches.

[Round 3]
Wex and Oosuu turn about and fire on the Klatoonians. Wex grazes the unwounded one [damage < Strength roll], Zil drops the other with a shot to the gut [Incapacitated].

[Round 4
Q: Does the thug flee? Certain (2+): O2 C1 - Yes, and... won't report back soon]

The remaining Klatoonian turns and sprints into the stairwell as blaster bolts thud into the walls and floor on all about her. [She only had to move 10m to make the stairs, so she could make a full dodge with the movement. 4D=11(dodge) + 15(range) = 26; the party all missed.]

Zil is on her knees beside the motionless Devaronian. "Don't you dare die on me you bastard! No one's allowed to kill you but me!"

"He's still breathing," offers Wex. "But we gotta go now, before the police arrive. Or worse -- the Empire."

"Oosuu carry. Wex, Zil, lead way."

She puts her blaster into the inside pocket of her coat, then hefts the unconscious Jather with a groan. Zil and Wex are already heading to the stairwell, guns draw in case of ambush. They see no one, and motion for Oosuu to follow. "She's stronger than she looks," thinks Zil, but this is only partly true. She's just very determined.

[Oosuu needed an Easy (10) Stamina roll to carry him down to street level: 2D+2=7, failure. But when a Stamina roll is failed, a character can roll Willpower at +5 to the difficulty modifier: 4D+1=21, success.

Jather will be unconscious for 10D=33mins.

Q: Any problems getting away? Likely (3+): O1 C5 - No.]

Wex rushes out of the building and into the street to hail a cab. Zil and Oosuu hurriedly usher the senseless Jather into the back seat with them.

"Just drive," shouts Zil. [Intimidation 4D+2=23]

The driver, a young and dishevelled Aleena, does as he is told, heading away from the flat at speed.

"I didn't say, 'follow that speeder'," barks Zil. "Drive casually."

"Drop us off in the Skestl District," says Wex suddenly, realising they are but [1d6=]10 minutes away.

"In a public park," says Zil. "I seem to remember there is one there."

"Near chemists," says Oosuu. "Please."

The driver does his best to accommodate their requests. Zil gives him 250 credits for the fare, and says to forget he ever saw them.

[Q: Is anyone suspicious of the comlink yet? Unlikely (5+): O2 C4 - No, but... probably will think of it soon.
Q: Any problems when being dropped off? Unlikely (5+): O4 C6 - No.]

Zil and Wex wait on a bench with Jather, who is starting to come round. Oosuu hurries off with 200 of Wex's credits, on the theory that they might need a second medpac for later. They wait an agonising [2Dx5=] 25 minutes for her return.

Zil catches sight of Oosuu's return with relief. "I almost thought she'd done a runner," she says.

"Stop worrying already," says Wex "She's probably the most trustworthy of any of us. What's your problem with her?"

"I dunno. Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to like her."

[Q: Is there somewhere out of sight close by? 50/50 (4+): O5 C6 - Yes.
Oosuu needs a Moderate (15) First Aid roll: 3D=10, failure: Jather is still Incapacitated.]

There is a bantha-sized lump of vaguely mountain-shaped bronze -- as anodyne an example of civic art as ever was -- not far from the park bench. Zil helps Jather limp behind it, and Oosuu gets to work with the medpac.

"Well?" asks Zil when the Twi'lek has finished her ministrations.

"I feel awful," groans Jather.

"Can you move?"

"I don't know."

"Oosuu help walk."

"Where's your friend's shop?" asks Zil.

"Half hour on foot..." [d6x10 = 30 minutes]

"He come get us?"


"Another taxi then. Wex, try and get a droid this time. They ask fewer questions."

[Q: Can he get a droid taxi? 50/50 (4+): O5 C4 - Yes, but... (2d6x5= 30)]

"»Bzt« Where to? »Bzt«," says the taxi droid as they are clambering in the back."

"Has & Sons Fine Antiques," says Jather through gritted teeth.

"»Bzt« Of course. »Bzt« Are you sure you wouldn't prefer the sector hospital? »Bzt«"

"We're fine," says Zil. "Just drive."

"»Bzt« My programming requires me to report suspicious activity to the authorities. »Bzt«"

"How much would it cost to override your programming?"

"»Bzt« I must have malfunctioned. »Bzt« 30 credits should be enough for a nice oil bath. »Bzt« I mean, remedial logic circuit repairs. »Bzt«"

Scene 19

Madness (d6)

Setup: betrayal at Drubal's shop (complication from Jather's streetwise roll in scene 18)
Chaos die=2, Altered (how? Inspect / Riches)

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner, Oosuu the Twi'lek waitress, Xzag-Xzan the crime boss (Jather's sometime patron), Chruighok the rival crime boss, Major Riilina Cazerdy the human mercenary (Wex's ex-flame), Mr. Kuththuk the genteel Trandoshan (Morga the Hutt's lieutenant)

Threads: escape system alive

The back room of Drubal Has' antique shop is piled floor to ceiling with junk and old furniture from half a hundred worlds. There is a prickly feeling to the air, as ioniser units spaced evenly about the walls fill the room with a weak charge, assisting dust particles to adhere to the objets d'art. In one corner, a solitary droid is applying a laser welder at minimum power to a Ruurian pupa bed, to give it that well-used look.

The one empty space in the labyrinth of clutter is given over to Drubal's desk, though even this is coated with dust, and pile upon pile of hardcopy shipping manifests. The Quarren sits behind his desk in his shirt sleeves, his heavy crimson robes thrown over the back of his chair. He is lost in thought, considering the request put to him by his old friend Jather, slumped in a chair before him, and the three other ragged-looking beings with him. Finally he breaks his silence.

"How much money do you have, Jather?"

"Between »cough« all of us? »cough« Less'n »cough« 2000 credits."

"Oh dear. That's hardly enough."

"We don't want first class tickets," says Zil, "just a packing crate with life support to get us offworld."

"It's not the cost of getting you offworld. It's the cost of not telling Morga the Hutt I have his fugitives."

"You »cough« bastard."

"What do you want?" says Zil.

"To keep my working relationship with Morga intact. And all my limbs..."

Drubal makes a move to activate a comlink switch on his desk. Wex has his blaster out from under his coat in a flash. The shot thunders in the enclosed space, and Drubal slumps in his seat, his suckered fingers a scant few centimetres from the button.

[Wex won the initiative, and got his shot off before Drubal reached the button. He was Incapacitated from the damage.]

But moments later [1d6=] a pair of brutish looking Quarren, Drubal's security guards, rush into the back room, blasters drawn.

[Round 1 - thugs have initiative]
The Quarren open fire as Wex and Zil dodge behind piles of furniture. Oosuu pulls Jather down to the floor, behind the desk and out of the Quarren's field of fire.

[Wex and Zil's declared actions are Dodge & shoot; thugs are shooting now and will use Dodge skills as a reaction (i.e. full dice roll for attacks, -1D for dodges only. Range is barely 5m.]

The first Quarren's shot catches Wex in the shoulder, but the bolt is absorbed by the concealed blast vest he wears under his coat [damage roll 4D=10 vs. Strength 2D+1, +1 for the vest =11, no damage].

The other Quarren's blaster splutters and emits a few sparks; someone forgot to change the power pack! [His attack roll (3D) was 1,1,1.]

Both Wex and Zil return fire, dropping one Quarren and seriously wounding the other [#1 Incapacitated, #2 Wounded].

[Round 2]
The wounded Quarren drops his useless blaster as he dashes back through the door. Zil and Wex fire after him, but he is lost amongst the chaos of the showroom, and soon has escaped into the street.

The work droid is oblivious to the firefight, and is still slowly antiquing away in its corner. Wex trots out through the gloomy shop to look out the front door, but the Quarren has already disappeared into the city.

Zil calmly finishes off the two injured Quarren in the back room. Oosuu flinches at each blast, but busies herself tending to Jather.

Wex appears in the doorway. "We gotta get out of here," he says.

"I saw Drubal's »cough« speeder out front. Find »cough cough« keys..."

[Easy (10) Search roll: Zil 3D=14]

Zil finds Drubal's keys in his desk drawer. She throws them to Wex, saying "You're driving." She and Oosuu help Jather stumble outside and they have soon put the antique shop well behind them.

[Q: Problems with getaway? Unlikely (5+): O1 C4 - No, but... heat will increase]

Wex drives to the factory district, and drops the rest off in front of a seedy hotel. "I'm going to ditch the speeder pretty far away," he says as they are helping Jather out. "and come back on foot. I'll call you when I'm nearly here. I should be at least an hour, though."

"Get some dinner whilst you're out," says Zil. "I'm starved."

[Wex Sneaks (3D=18 (wild die=6,4)) back unnoticed.
Zil needs to roll an Easy (10) Con check to pass off Jather as her drunk friend: 3D=12, which would have been a success, had I not rolled the following Interrupt for the next scene.]

Scene 20

Madness (d6)

Setup: chaos die=3, Interrupt (was: Now what? redux)
Interrupt: PC negative - Spy / Weapons

NPC list: Porubek the Kitonak crimelord (Zil's boss), Jather Plazeed the Devaronian grifter, Bootleg Bardin the human speeder racer, Wex Enstipo the human gunrunner, Oosuu the Twi'lek waitress, Xzag-Xzan the crime boss (Jather's sometime patron), Chruighok the rival crime boss, Major Riilina Cazerdy the human mercenary (Wex's ex-flame), Mr. Kuththuk the genteel Trandoshan (Morga the Hutt's lieutenant)

Threads: escape system alive

The hotel lobby makes Oosuu's flat block seem like the Ritz Imperial on Coruscant. The carpets are threadbare and torn in places, the public information terminal's electronics seem to have lost a battle with someone's cheap wine, and the single flickering fluorescent ceiling lamp gives off a weak light, obscured by the carcasses of generations of insects. There's a janitorial droid powered down in the corner, and missing one of its arms.

The gum-chewing Zelosian girl behind the front desk looks up from her holographic fashion magazine and greets Zil with a peevish, "What?"

"We need a room for four, so either a double, or a suite."

"For the whole night or just an hour?"

Oosuu is keeping Jather walking round the lobby, both doing their best to continue the charade of drunkenness on his part whilst Zil handles the registration. It is all going fine, until the Zelosian girl's chronic apathy suddenly fades.

"Hey!" she exclaims, "Are those blasters under your coats? What're you bringing that arsenal in here for?"

"It's nothing," says Zil calmly. "Just ignore it."

"This is a respectable place. We don't want no trouble."

"I believe one of those statements," says Zil.

"Look, Miss..." begins the girl, glancing at the register terminal, "...Miss Antilles, in my experience people toting that sort of hardware around with a friend who can barely stand is a recipe for trouble."

"How about I give you 200 credits to help ease your worries." [Easy (8) Bargain, 3D=12]

"Ok, but no pets."

No comments:

Post a Comment